Velocity chart false information ?

anis.kassy January 21, 2020

Good morning,

The total of story points from the column "Engagement" are higher than the reality.

The total of story points from the column "Finished" are lower than the reality.

There is a bug OR the calculation method is not based only on my Kanban... Firstly, can someone tell me how these values are calculated ?

Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2020

Hi @anis.kassy

The velocity chart only relates to a Scrum board and is based on a per-sprint basis, so will show the statistics of each sprint separately.

Are you removing stories from sprints at all? Or estimating after the sprint has commenced - this could explain some of the behaviour as...

• The estimate column in the chart shows what the estimate was at the date / time a sprint commenced
  • The completed column in the chart shows the total number of points finished when the sprint has ended

Anything added or removed will not change the estimate, nor will removed issues show in the completed column.

Ste

anis.kassy January 21, 2020

Sometimes we modify story points values after the sprint's start.

I will create a false sprint to test if the issue was caused by these changes. If i hear anything, i'll get back to you.

Thank you Stephen

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2020

Awesome - let us know results :)

Ste

anis.kassy February 3, 2020

I simulates several tests to understand what was wrong. 

Unfortunately, I still don't know what is causing my issue.

You were right about the burndown chart : "the estimate column in the chart shows what the estimate was at the date / time a sprint commenced" and "the completed column in the chart shows the total number of points finished when the sprint has ended". However, the velocity chart does not follow this rule.

Edit : the velocity chart does not follow this rule only in my "real" project. In my sprints simulations (made in an other project), the velocity chart is correct.

Have you an other idea ?

Suggest an answer