Validation error when using OutLook extension to import email to task

Claudia McCalla, RN December 20, 2021

When I attempt to add an email to my tasks in JIRA Cloud, I get a validation error. I'm only including the email, no attachments, no comments. I've tried the Connect Now button but I get an "unauthorized" error msg in explorer and chrome. 

I am able to login in to JIRA Cloud on chrome using my office 365 login (actually SSO for all platforms we use).

I noticed this was an issue previously, but the most recent activity on this error I could find is from 2015.

Is there a workaround to get emails into the JIRA besides cutting and pasting? (Neither efficient or visually coherent).

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2021

I have a question @Claudia McCalla, RN . Are you working strictly in the cloud? Can you add a screenshot of the error. My cloud account seems to be working OK right now so I doubt there is an outage of some sort.

0 votes
Claudia McCalla, RN December 22, 2021

it gets even more interesting.  I asked to have my work device reimaged due to a plethora of minor issues. The Jira extension for OutLook works fine on the loaner device I'm working from. I'm trying to get all the emails from the past 2 months migrated to their tasks in Jira :)

0 votes
Claudia McCalla, RN December 22, 2021

Hi Danno,

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I use the OutLook app with the JIRA add-in extension but I access Jira in the cloud from Chrome.

Our web version (365) of Outlook does not allow extensions (probably a system-level security setting ¯\_()_/¯  ).

Here’s the screenshot I tried to post on the community board:

[how do I send or attach screenshots?]

This occurs after I click “send”.

At one point I was able to “remove” the add-in and re-install through the OutLook Store.

That would allow me one send from OutLook, now I can’t send an email, even without attachments or comments.

[how do I send or attach screenshots?]

I’ve requested a re-imaging of my laptop since I’ve been having issues with Teams and Excel also.

If that resolves the issue, I’ll let you know.

In the meantime, is there any alternative to “cut & paste”?

That just feels like 90’s technology at this point (⊙_⊙)

Patrick Schüßler _yasoon_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2021

Hi @Claudia McCalla, RN 

Atlassian's free app offers a very good solution to convert emails into issues.

If you' re looking for another option, feel free to check out this app: Microsoft 365 for Jira - Outlook Email, Teams, Meetings | Atlassian Marketplace

Let me highlight the main features for you:

• Create Jira issues from emails
  • Add or remove email attachments easily
  • See Jira information in an Outlook sidebar
  • Search for related issues on email or sender
  • Work with your emails in Jira (Cloud only)
  • Share email threads with your colleagues in Jira (Cloud only)

In addition, the app provides some more integrations with Microsoft products like Teams, Outlook Meetings and To Do.

Here are two use case videos:

Demo: Microsoft 365 for Jira – IT project management use case - YouTube

Demo: Microsoft 365 for Jira – IT service management use case (JSM) - YouTube

If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with me.

Kind regards,

Patrick

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2021

@Claudia McCalla, RN OK, I'm updating this reply after looking at the You Tube Video @Patrick Schüßler _yasoon_ linked in his reply.

Are you using the Atlassian built add in or the YAssoon one mentioned in the video?

Ooof, it's a bit of a mystery since it appears to be system-related. I would ask your IT dept. about this one. Do they allow you to download the desktop version of Outlook? You could then see about adding the Jira connector to it to kind of double-check your theory about system-level restrictions.

I'm really curious about your problem since we just went through a Cloud hosting change here and that caused lots of issues with getting all of our 365 apps linked back up. I would also ask your IT about this, did they make any changes recently.

I can help you with the screenshot issue though. In this environment, you must save the screenshot as some type of image file first. Then select the image insert icon at the top of the box and insert that file. Also, you need to have some kind of text to go with it. If you just paste an image w/o text it won't save it.

Screenshot 2021-12-22 081243.gif

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events