Using labels to analyse different cycle times

Jenny Smedley
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 24, 2024

Good morning, I am trying to assess cycle times of different processes and wondered if I could utilise labels to categorise the process and then determine cycle times for the different processes.

For example, within an epic, we are likely to have multiple stories which relate to different processes; discovery, ingestion, modelling, visualisation and other.  I would like to be able to see the overall cycle time for that epic ... but then also split out how long the cycle time was for discovery, vs ingestion, vs modelling etc.  I was hoping that I could add a label to a story to say that this story best relates to modelling so should count in that "category"

Is this possible please?

4 answers

4 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Valeriia_Havrylenko_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 25, 2024

Hi @Jenny Smedley 

With Time in Status you can determine cycle times for the different processes.

All you need is to:

• create a status group;
  • choose statuses;
  • click the "Save" button.

Cycle Time.gif

Also, you can read the article which describes some ways to get the Cycle time report for your issues.

Another way can be Time Between Statuses add-on which calculates cycle time based on these calculations. It all depends on the timer configuration, which allows you to set up how and when the app should count the time spent on a task between different statuses.

Frame 967.png
Add-ons have 30-days trial version and free up to the 10 users.

Hope it helps 
😌

1 vote
Answer accepted
Amay Purohit_RVS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2024

Hi @Jenny Smedley 

Welcome to the community !!

You can use Jira Rest API's to pull this data. Or as an alternate if you are fine to try out mktplace app, take a look at

Time in Status Reports 

The app allows you to group your statuses and define your own cycle time. The app will calculate the time spent in each status of your group and present a total of the same.

More details here

The app is free for 10 users. Do try it out.

Disclaimer : I work for RVS, the vendor for this app

TIS - Cycle Time report.PNG

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gizem Gökçe _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 25, 2024

Hello @Jenny Smedley ,

Welcome to the community!

There is no built in solution in Jira for this. So in order to track the cycle time I suggest you use a marketplace app. Time in Status , the oldest and leading Time in Status app in Atlassian Marketplace which is developed by my team at OBSS, has a report type that will meet your need.  Our app is available for both Jira Cloud, and Data Center. 

Status Duration report (please see the screenshot above) which shows how much time each issue spent on each status. You can combine the time for multiple statuses to get metrics like Cycle Time, Lead Time, Resolution Time, Issue Age etc. Status Duration Report in Detail.png

For all numeric report types, you can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by the issue fields you select.

For example in your case you can group your issues by their epic and processes. So you can see the total or average cycle time for a particular epic in a particular process. You can use both system and custom fields to group your issues in your report.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 112316.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well.

Time in Status reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts. And the app has a REST API so you can get the reports from Jira UI or via REST. Also you can export the reports in to various formats easily. 

Visit Time in Status to explore how our JIRA add-on can revolutionize your metrics measurement process. Enjoy a 30-day free trial to experience the full range of features.

If you wish, you can also schedule a live demo. We will provide a comprehensive overview of the application and address any inquiries you may have.

Hope it helps,

Gizem

Jenny Smedley
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 26, 2024

Thank you everyone for your fast responses and really useful to understand the technology opportunities.

I think to keep this simple - I will create a new bespoke field with drop downs for the different processes I need to split cycle time on but useful to know that there are plugins to allow me to split by labels if needed

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
April 24, 2024

Hi @Jenny Smedley ðŸ‘‹

Welcome to the community! 

As far as I know Jira doesn't have a built-in solution for the report you mentioned. If you prefer using a marketplace app, you can try Status Time Reports app developed by our team. It mainly provides reports and gadgets based on how much time passed in each status. You can group issues to get cycle time by Epic and label. You can have a report similar to the below with the app. In our Jira we are using components field to differentiate stories under a epic. In your case you will group by labels.

cycle time by epic and process.png

cycle time by epic and process-2.png

For further details, you can have a look at Status Time Reports How to Videos.

If you are looking for a completely free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Reports Free.

If you need any help, feel free to contact us via support@bloompeak.io or schedule a demo with us.

Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events