Using JQL, is there a way to filter "Assignee was in Group"

Michael M December 13, 2022

I'm creating a filter for a dashboard. Team members often reassign tickets but we still want those tickets to be viewable as associated with those individuals.

I've tried the following (and similar) JQL:

assignee was in membersOf("Group Name") AND project = "Project" AND updatedDate >= startOfWeek()

With the error:
A value provided by the function 'membersOf' is invalid for the field 'assignee'.

-

Using 'assignee in' only shows tickets actively assigned to those individuals, but does not account for things having been handed off to someone else.

The desired result would be similar to 'Assignee was ID' but targeted at a Group.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nicholas Ellis _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 13, 2022

Hi @Michael M,

Welcome to the community!

It looks like your JQL is correct.  Here is the membersOf documentation.

The value error may be you are returning assignees who are no longer valid, such as deactivated or removed accounts.  Here is another answer about a similar problem:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Why-does-quot-was-in-quot-function-not-work-for-assignee-anymore/qaq-p/1625595

Cheers,
Nick [Tempo/ALM Works]

Michael M December 14, 2022

Thank you for this insight Nicholas,

It seems a couple of the user IDs we were given had never received a ticket and didn't have a history to pull from. Which lead them to be flagged as invalid as an Assignee in the JQL after I manually typed each one in instead of trying to use the group.

I went back, created a test ticket and assigned it to each of these team members. Then tried using

assignee was in membersOf("Group Name") AND project = "Project" AND updatedDate >= startOfWeek()

again and it worked fine.

Like # people like this
Nicholas Ellis _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 14, 2022

Glad to hear it!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events