Upgrade from 6.1.5 to Current Version (with Confluence)

Matthew Dillon June 1, 2022

We are currently using Confluence 7.12.5, and Jira 6.1.5 is installed. I do not know much about the product, but we were tagged in a vulnerability scan with outdated Jira. 

What is the upgrade process for Jira? Can I direct upgrade to the latest version, and what about interoperability with Confluence versions?

Thanks!

1 answer

2 votes
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2022

Hello, @Matthew Dillon ! Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You should be able to upgrade from 6.1.5 to the latest version directly.  It will work better with Confluence (you're on the latest major version of Confluence).

Here's the upgrade guide for Jira: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/upgrading-jira-applications-938846936.html

Matthew Dillon June 1, 2022

Thank you! Just to confirm, I shouldn't have any hops in between? I believe when I did Confluence I had to migrate to a newer SQL, and it required multiple jumps in versions.

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2022

Application-wise, you shouldn't have to do any hops in between.

As far as the database is concerned, that's where you may have to upgrade your database.  The Upgrade guide I linked to gives guidance on that.

Also post-migration, you may need to upgrade any Jira Marketplace Apps (a.k.a plugins) you currently use.

Suggest an answer