Updated Custom Field description is not being reflected

sandra.woodard May 13, 2021

I have a custom Jira field.  I updated the description and it is not showing the update.   I followed the steps in this article and still didn't work

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/changes-to-custom-field-descriptions-are-not-visible-on-the-create-issue-screen-in-jira-server-833986770.html

Also, I only see the description when I create a new ticket.  How can I see the description when I edit an existing ticket?

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Konráth Richárd
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 5, 2022

Hi!
I had the same problem. For me this comment solved it:

"The workaround of accessing field configurations through project settings works.

Project _____ Settings > Fields > Edit Pencil > Find Field and "Edit" > enter description"

You can find the whole description on this issue:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-60803?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Aall-tabpanel

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

Have you updated the description for the custom field in both the Custom Fields screen and all Field Configurations that apply to the project(s) where you want to see the new description?

Hi Trudy, yes I updated the Field Configuration value but I'm still not seeing the updated field.  When I create a ticket or edit an existing ticket, I would l like to see that description value.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

Hi Sandra,

The link you provide is for Jira Server. But your deployment type on this question says you are using Cloud. If that is the case, then the Server information won't apply. 

Can you describe what you have done to try to change the field description? 

Hi John, yes I'm on the Cloud instance of Jira.  I created a custom field. I need to change the description and my updates are not being applied.  I also updated the Field Configurations.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2021

Can you share a screen shot of your field configuration? 

Hi John,

I attached a screenshot of the Field Configuration and Description.

Thank you

Sandra

field_configuration.pngfield_description.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2021

I would go ahead and open a support ticket with Atlassian:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2022

Hey @sandra.woodard  - Any update?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events