Update parent linked issue through automation or other method

Ahmad Sidawi December 8, 2020

Hi all, 

I'm looking to update the status of an issue which is linked through the Parent Link field, rather than a issue link or Parent task. I was hoping this is possible through automation or another method.

So scenario is:

Issue status is updated to 'Scheduled', update the Parent Link issue status to 'Scheduled'.

I've been trying to achieve this through Jira automation and none of the options (Parent issue, Linked issue) have achieved this.

Thanks for any help!

image.pngimage.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2020

Hi @Ahmad Sidawi 

Your rule in the image does not seem to match what you are asking.  Have you tried something like this:

• Trigger: issue transition to Scheduled
  • Branch: parent of issue
    • Then Transition the issue to: copy from trigger issue

Best regards,

Bill

Yup, didn't work with either Parent or Epic. Had tried it yesterday. It doesn't pick up the Parent Link unfortunately.

You can see the id's and keys through the Parent Link so it could be possible to update an issue of a certain ID through automation perhaps?

image.png

image.png image.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2020

Thanks for that information.  As follow-up questions:

Is this a Classic or NexGen project? (Parent field only works for NextGen, I believe.)

Please describe the issueType hierarchy you are trying to use, as it appears you have some custom types here.

Ahhh its a classic project. That might be the issue. Is there any other route i can go instead? I'm starting to look into scriptrunner.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 8, 2020

Parent only works with NextGen, but Epic Link works with Classic.  However it appears that you have custom issue types; that is why I was asking about your hierarchy.

If neither Parent nor Epic Link will work for your issue types, you can still use Branch with JQL to match the items, and then make the transition update.

__Bill

Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2020

Hi @Ahmad Sidawi

Is the Parent Link a custom field?

Cheers,

Simeon.

Ahmad Sidawi December 9, 2020

Hi @Simmo ,

I believe it is yeah:

'customfield_10500': {'hasEpicLinkFieldDependency': True, 'showField': True, 'data': {'id': 379068, 'key': 'DPT-27760', 'keyNum': 27760,

@Bill Sheboy do you mean something like this? Even though that syntax does pull the right key in an audit log, JQL doesn't seem to accept it in searches.

image.png

This ended up working! So with smartvariables you cannot validate the query within Automation but it still passes!

image.png

Thank you both! @Simmo @Bill Sheboy 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 9, 2020

Hi @Ahmad Sidawi

Glad you got it working. For future reference, whatever you defined as your smart value you should be able to use directly in the For JQL branch, saving you having to define a variable just for that!

Cheers,

Simeon.

Like # people like this
Michael Holian July 14, 2021

Hello @Ahmad Sidawi ,

I'm struggling to get this to work, can you paste in what your 'Create Smart Value' dialog looked like?

Ahmad Sidawi July 21, 2021

Just something like this (same as in image above):

{{issue.Parent Link.data.key}} and then you can do a 'For JQL' branch.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events