Unable to publish workflow draft

Chris February 12, 2020

Hello, I'm attempting to publish a workflow draft, where I added an extra transition from DONE to an earlier status so that tasks can be moved back a step if need be.

When I try to publish the draft and overwrite the active workflow I recieve the following error:

"You are editing a draft workflow. The step 'DONE' has no outgoing transitions in the active workflow, so you cannot add any outgoing transitions in the Draft workflow"

I interpret this as "You can't publish this draft because it is different from the original", which is somewhat baffling, since it defeats the entire point of editing something.

Can someone help me understand why I'm unable to do this, and how I can publish the draft witout having to make a copy and reassociate the workflow with the project (if that's even an option)?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2020

there are scenarios where you can’t edit and publish the workflow directly. What you need to do is make a copy of the workflow, edit it then go back to workflows and add the new workflow to your list in that project. Then associate the new workflow with the issue types you desire.

Chris February 12, 2020

I was affraid of that, any idea why? This is rather impractical and I'm having trouble understanding this functionality.

Like frankvdb likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2020

There's a long-standing bug on the inability to add a transition to statuses that don’t have an outgoing transition already. I don’t recall the ticket on this but it is discussed in several threads in the Community.

Like # people like this
Chris February 12, 2020

Thank you very much. Though this does confirm my fears that I'll have to go "the long way around". Fingers crossed nothing breaks when I reassociate the workflow. Thanks again! I do hope this will get fixed soon.

5 votes
Maggie April 15, 2021

This is really impractical. Basically anytime when we make a change to workflow we would have to create a copy. Will this bug be resolved? Because then we create multiple numbers of inactive workflows...

1 vote
Antoine [Klee Group] January 12, 2022

Damn I got the same error just know, it never occured before.

What's the point of having an edit button if we can not edit the workflow without having to:

copy it with a different name → edit it → then edit the workflow scheme.

Not being able to remove statuses from active workflows on Cloud was already a joke but this is insane, not being able to add transitions to workflows!!

Like the only editable thing now is what, renaming the transition only?

1 vote
Sumit Ramteke November 4, 2020
  • I came across same issue. But able to resolve this
  • there might be several unpublished changes in draft mode
  • due to which your new draft could not be publish (kind of bug)
  • you just need to Discard draft 
  • then View original 
  • come again to edit mode
  • apply your new changes and publish it
  • and you are done
acam July 14, 2022

I tried this several times, and does not work. 

0 votes
frankvdb November 23, 2022

<removed>

Suggest an answer