Unable to get "Component" in left sidebar

CARIOU Xavier December 18, 2020

Hello,

I would need some help.

Component doesn't exist in my sidebar, and I don't find how to add it. It doesn't exist in "Project settings"

Any idea how to proceed? I don't see answer in documentation, each time they say to use it from sidebar, but I don't have it :-(

I have next-gen-project version, may be there is a difference here?

Thanks.

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2020

Hi @CARIOU Xavier 

Components do not exist in Next-Gen projects. You could add a custom field for them, but it would not behave the same as a component in a Classic project.

There is an open request to add them. You can vote on it or watch its progress here: JSWCLOUD-17601

(this answer is from https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-questions/Components-In-Jira-Next-Gen/qaq-p/1130643)

regards, Marco

Thanks for your reply

Like Marco Brundel likes this
Eli Szus December 27, 2021

See other response

1 vote
Answer accepted
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

You can only use components in classic projects unfortunately. So, yes, you could try to switch to that kind of project if components are needed.

As a workaround you can use labels or create another custom field in your project but it won't offer you the same possibilities though.

Thanks for your answer

Like John Funk likes this
Eli Szus December 27, 2021

A) Thanks for this.

B) Why doesn't Jira/Atlassian updates their documentation to make it more clear? We find 10s of docs on google every single time with old features that are not in next gen, but documentation is not updated to mention this. It seems old documentation are never updated. And current docs are impossible to find.

0 votes
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2021

Hi @CARIOU Xavier ,

as mentioned in the previous answers components are not yet available in team-managed (former Next-gen) projects. I did a bit of research on this topic and found some workarounds that others use that include custom fields, labels, Automation for Jira.

Some teams are looking for experience as close to company-managed projects in terms of components so that's why we build the support for team-managed components into our Component management plugin until they become available in Jira by default.

Here is an article summarizing the research and cons and pros for each workaround 👉 How to create Components in team-managed (former Next-gen) projects 

I hope this helps!

Nikki

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events