Unable to find me as a user for activity stream

Erika Schuler October 31, 2017

I have loaded the Activity Stream gadget and was able to add the global settings. I narrowed the stream down to a project but I am unable to narrow it down to only me as a user. It can't seem to find me as a user. I have tried all sort of user settings, my display name, my email, my Jira user, my attlassian user, nothing works. Even though I just did some activity, when I save the stream it always comes back with "no activtiy". As soon as I remove the user restriction, I can see my activty in the stream, however also all other users' activities, which I don't want to display. 

Assistance would be really appreciated. I used to have an activity stream under the profile, but this has been removed with the Jira Display update. 

3 answers

2 votes
Randdy Feliz October 28, 2020

Hello,

Steps to resolve this incident:

You must be a JIRA administrator to be able to log in with the affected user.

1. Enter the JIRA user administration
2. Log in with the affected user's account
3. Go to the user's profile
4. On that page, secondary click
5. View Page Source
6. Ctrl F (search)
7- Place ajs-remote-user
8. Copy this ID
9. Paste in the Activity Stream username filter

1 vote
Glenn Gilbert June 4, 2019

Annoyingly it looks as if JIRA has changed to using GUIDs for AccountIDs,  so this technique doesn't show the username.

Michelle Gaul July 31, 2019

in case you still a need an answer, i might have found a workaround after long trial-and-error.

but it needs you to know at least the display name of that user (but you should be able to find that one in the administrations section of your Jira instance.

So, if you open the advanced search and type in assignee = (just as an example) and then enter the display name of the user, you will find the username in brackets. Or just click on the user on the suggested list and the username will appear in search field.

For me, it was very helpful to get the username of "Automation for Jira Add-On" because i wanted to hide those activities from the activity stream.

For anyone searching: it's 

addon_com.codebarrel.addons.automation
Like # people like this
1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2017

Hi Erika,

This activity stream filter is pretty particular in the username value it will accept.  I think the easiest way to make sure that you are using the username value Jira is expecting would be to first load the activity stream without this user filter, then find an entry with your name.  If you hover over the link for your name, the bottom status bar of the browser can show you a link to your profile, like this:

activityname1.png

In this case, my username is 'admin'.   I found I could add this specific username to filter the content of this activity stream and this should work.   You might need to make sure that your browser is setup to show the statusbar in order to see this, but I am curious if you can use these steps to make sure that the username value being entered here is still valid as far as Jira is concerned.

Regards,
Andy

Erika Schuler November 2, 2017

Hi Andy, 

Thank you very much for your reply. Although I solved it myself, it gave me confirmation, that I was looking at the right place. I just checked on my URL as per your directions and it did have my user name as ErikaS, confirming my assumption of case sensitivity.

I have found that albeit I used my correct user name, it would only accept it, when I used the correct case spelling. Once the username was entered with case sensitivity, I found it finally worked.

So in your case it would only work, if you really have it as "admin", not "Admin". In my case it was ErikaS, it tried erikas and Erikas before, they did not work, but ErikaS did. 

Kind regards

Erika

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2017

Hi Erika,

Thanks for letting us know the specific details that helped resolve this.

Cheers,
Andy

Steve Fulton April 11, 2019

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/activity-stream-is-empty-when-filtered-by-username-306348823.html

Also, global filters don't work on some usernames, because they don't understand case and underscores.

Suggest an answer