Unable to delete a backlog task

Darren Rockett January 13, 2020

Issue.png

I am the site admin but unable to delete a backlog issue, any ideas? 

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Darren Rockett January 15, 2020

The problem was resolved by upgrading the plan then adding myself to the project roles. 

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

🚀Thanks for the update!

1 vote
Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2020

Hi @Darren Rockett 

Can you confirm that you also have the delete issues project permission? 

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2020

Hi Darren - you might be better off just Discarding or Aborting the issue. It's a pretty good policy to delete very few things if any, even for duplicates or mistakes. 

Hi John, the only option I have is delete, am I missing something? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2020

You should add a new Status to your workflow for Discard (and maybe Aborted). See this blog for more information on how those can (should?) be used.  :-)

https://blog.huge.io/kanbans-four-conclusions-5cfb1716fa39

Full disclosure, it was written by my boss.  :-)

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

I must say I like the concepts presented. I might take some learnings to my team. Thanks for sharing @John Funk 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2020

Thanks @Fernando Bordallo  - we use that process extensively in our organization. Maybe I should write an article on it.  :-)

0 votes

Hi Adrian, thanks for the prompt response. I can see there are slight differences in the schemes assigned to the various projects (not through my own doing). I am unable to edit the Delete Issues permission, 

Project role

Administrators

atlassian-addons-project-access

Thanks
Darren 

Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

Hi @Darren Rockett 

1. Are you able to see the Actions button on the top right of the project permissions page ?
  2. Click that > Edit permissions 
  3. Scroll to Delete Issues > Click Edit
  4. Add yourself there. 

Another way to check if you have permission to delete the issue

1. Go to the permission helper page
  2. Fill in your username, the issue you want to delete and select the delete issues permission then hit submit. 
  3. Here if you do not have permission to delete the issue, it should tell you exactly why. 
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

Thanks @Fernando Bordallo

It does indeed tell me I don't have permission

@Adrian Stephen the button is disabled, apparently the Grant Permission option is not available on the free plan. I am assuming I will need to start paying to remove this? 

Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

Since the permission is currently granted to the project role  administrator, could you try adding yourself to this role on the users and role configuration of the affected project and see if it helps. 

No joy :-(

Suggest an answer