Unable to create jira from gmail

Bimal Ghundhu March 28, 2019

Everytime we test the connection when we create issue from gmail, we get a network timeout error. 

have tried with both imap and pop3, both secure and not

Create a new issue from each email message

Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue

javax.mail.MessagingException: Read timed out while connecting to host 'imap.gmail.com' as user '' via protocol 'imap, caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: Read timed out while connecting to host 'pop.gmail.com' as user '' via protocol 'pop3

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2019

Hi Bimal,

Welcome to Community! Nice to meet you.

It seems that your server isn't able to connect to Gmail for some reason.

Are you able to telnet directly to those ports on the Gmail server from your instance? Are you behind a firewall or proxy?

Regards,

Shannon

Rumyana Simeonova February 9, 2020

Hello Shannon, 

I do seem to have the same problem connecting to imap.gmail.com:993. I get the Read Timeout error when in company intranet (so behind a FW and proxy) and a complete different error when trying via the internet: Connection dropped by server. 

What could be the reason?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2020

Hi Rumyana,

This could be caused by any number of things, many of them unrelated to Jira. 

I recommend that you raise a ticket with our Support team if you are support eligible, or raise a new question here on Community so we can have a look.

Shannon

luigi.celotta@jakala.com March 23, 2020

Hi,

same problem here, but we're using the cloud version of Jira. Any suggestion?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 23, 2020

Hi Luigi,

Thank you for your follow-up. My suggestion to you would be the same, and that is to contact our Support Team so we can take a look at your logs and see what the problem might be.

Let me know if you have any trouble raising a ticket!

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer