URGENT! Dashboard group by summary

Dionei Piazza November 19, 2020

I need a dashboard that groups the information by the Summary of an issue.

Preferably, I would like to have this in a pizza gadget. If you can't do it on pizza, it may be another option!

Thanks!

4 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2020

No, you can't do this.

Summary is a text field, by it's nature, it doesn't hold data of a type that can be grouped.  Even if you could select the summary as the groupable field for a pie chart (I'm guessing that's what you mean by pizza), it would not tell you much.  If you had 16 issues in the search, a pie chart would display 16 equally sized slices.  If you had 64 issues, you'd get 64 slices.  Every summary is mathematically unique (even when they're the same string), so the groups for them would only ever hold 1 entry.

You should stop misusing summary as the reporting field.  Create a select list for the root cause category, and a date field for capturing when it happens (if you don't want to work from "when issue was created", and report off those instead.  Select lists give you groupable options.  You could also use multi-selects if something might be caused by a combination of things, or you could use labels.

Ok!

Thank you for your considerations and tips @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- !

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bibek Behera
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2020

@Dionei Piazza ,

Can you please be little more elaborate on what is the use case with an example so that everyone can put forward their adopted solution based on the use case?

-Bibek

Of course @Bibek Behera! Let's go! 

We have a job where we separate a person from our SRE team weekly to be on duty.

1 - The duty officer creates a Task. For example "Weekly duty - Dionei 12/16/2020.".

2 - The activities that the duty officer performs are subtasks of this Task (item 1).

3 - We have some filling patterns for the Summary field. For example: "Clear tenant cache", "Connection stuck", "Increase Postfix disk", etc. They portray the root cause of each service.

Now we want to create a dashboard to analyze this causes. For example:

Week 02/2020
- 20% "Clear tenant cache"
- 10% "Connection stuck" and so on.

We want to understand the percentage of that root cause and know the rate that each of them has during the day, week, month or year.

Please let me know if I was clear. Thank you!

Bibek Behera
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2020

HI @Dionei Piazza ,

What I would suggest is to have labels for "Clear tenant cache", "Connection stuck", "Increase Postfix disk", etc. Have a filter created for the same labels and save it.

like <project = abc labels in (your label1,your lables2)>

Create a pie chart gadget and point it to the saves filter.

-Bibek

Like Dionei Piazza likes this

Great! Sounds good!

Thank you @Bibek Behera 

0 votes
David Harkins
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2022

Looking for the same, to review the most frequently asked questions, so that they can be used to create Confluence Articles in an FAQ section ;-) 

0 votes
Scott Windus December 2, 2020

I have a somewhat similar need, if anyone can help

I have Jira Issues being created from inbound emails that have pre-defined subject lines based on the mailto link the user selects. Obviously, the email subject line becomes the Jira Issue Summary,

Examples: "Support Request | Tableau | L1 Performance Dashboard" and "Support Request | Tableau | L2 Revenue Dashboard"

It would be very useful to be able to create a swimlane filter that allows me to group the issues based on the subject line (Jira Summary).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2020

Text doesn't have an exact search, you shouldn't need it.

But it does have a fuzzy one.  You can create swimlane filters for things like "summary ~ <text>" which may be able to group correctly if the strings are distinct enough for the fizzy logic to catch.

Scott Windus December 2, 2020

Thanks Nic. That is actually what I did. Unfortunately it will require me to regularly update the queries when new subject lines are created. Maybe what I was hoping for comes more into the realm of AI. 😂

Cheers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events