Transitions not available

Geoff Goodhew July 22, 2020

Hi there,

I have a project where I cannot transition issues once they reach the final status (Deployed, in this case).

Unfortunately, when the workflow was set-up, they didn't populate the Resolution. I've fixed the workflow so any issues being moved to Deployed in the future will be fine. But we now have old issues in the 'Deployed' status without a resolution. I want to transition the issue out and back into the final state to force the resolution. But I'm told, "You don't have permission to transition this issue".

I've done a search for answers here - I found this similar post https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Cannot-transition-issue-with-all-permissions-only-1-issue/qaq-p/1230550.

It's not my permissions: I'm a Jira admin, project admin, and can transition issues from other statuses on the project. I was able to reopen issues on a different workflow in this project. I've been able to re-open and resolve issues on other projects.

I can't see anything specific in the transitions going into this status (no conditions, properties, validators, or triggers; the only post functions are the standard ones plus setting the resolution).

The only thing I can think of is that the final status has no outbound transitions; that means I can't add an outbound transition. Although on another project: I got around this by adding an 'All' transition, which worked perfectly; it isn't working on this project for some reason.

Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this would be appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2020

Hi Geoff - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

This happens from time to time. When it does, if you will copy the workflow, make your changes and then update the workflow scheme to sub in the new version of the workflow for the old one. 

Be sure to map the new workflow to the same issue types as they are currently mapped.

And finally, be sure to publish the edited workflow scheme. 

Geoff Goodhew July 23, 2020

Thanks - this worked.

I was hoping to avoid switching the workflows, but given nothing else seemed to fix it, I was out of options.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2020

Well, I am glad you at least got it up and running even if it's not the ideal solution. 

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 22, 2020

here are two options to consider:

1. edit the workflow and create a transition from Deployed back to itself. Call it say "fix-it". in that transition you can create a post function to set the resolution to done. publish this workflow and use bulk edit ... project = abc and status =deployed and resolution is empty. Use Bulk edit to transition all of the issues using "fix-it". Once fixed go back and get rid of that fix-it transition.
  2. using the aforementioned jql use bulk edit to add a label ,e.g. fix-resolution. then use a second bulk edit to reopen all issues. once reopen use another jql leveraging the label to find them this time and transition all to deployed.

adjust things to meet your specific situation.

Geoff Goodhew July 23, 2020

Thanks. That was the process I'd done with other workflows. But the problem was the transition wasn't available. I needed to switch out the workflows to get around that, then use the process you've outlined to fix it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events