Time tracking validator not working

Johnathan Garrett-Sinclair February 26, 2020

I have used the "Time Spent" field for Field Required validator and the "Log Work" field for the Screen to ensure engineers input the time they spend on tasks when transitioning tasks. 

However, I cannot progress past the screen when testing as it thinks I have not input a value into the Time Spent field (even when I have - see the pic below) 

Time Spent Issue.PNG

3 answers

0 votes
Clifton Foster March 30, 2022

I got around this by adding a transition screen (NC: Task Done Screen) with Log Work in it. I then added a Validator "Field Log Work should be modified during the transition." I did not check for previous Time Spent value but just required a new time entry. Here are the screenshots from my implementation. All that needs to be done in the transition screen is to fill out the Time Spent field (and the Assignee and Departments in my case).

Transition Screen - NC: Task Done Screen2022-03-30 16_34_49-Done - Jira.png

Transition Validations
2022-03-30 16_34_16-Transition_ Done - Jira.png

Transition Screen Fields

2022-03-30 16_35_07-Configure Screen - Jira.png

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2020

So you might have a look at this thread - Time-Spent-required-on-Transition 

However, I spent 15m on this and I concur that it does not seem to work. That is, if you use the Field Validator for Time spent and prior to the transition you have logged work the transition will fail which would seem to say the utility still sees the field as empty. Now, I may certainly be overlooking something here. I have opened a question with Beecom the developer of jsu-automation-suite-for-jira-workflows to see if they can share some color on this. Assuming I hear back I will comment here.

BTW, while opening the ticket, I noted some release notes that initially looked promising. Seeming to convey a bug was fixed at one point. I have to wonder if the constant change to Jira Cloud hasn't possibly unraveled things. I want to say that this has worked for me in the past but simply do not recall definitively and I do not use it currently in any of my active projects.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2020

and this just in from Beecom...

Condition/Validator: Atlassian decided in 2016 to go 'Cloud Native' with their Jira Cloud. They called it the 'big fork' as the started to fork out for Jira Server.

Atlassian integrated all Condition & Validators from JSU and you can find for all JSU Condition & Validator a native Jira Cloud Condition/Valdiator. 

On Jira Cloud, Field Required Validator is maintained by Atlassian, I would suggest to please contact Atlassian for better support. For JSU on Jira cloud documentation, you may have look on https://confluence-apps.beecom.ch/display/JSUCLOUD/JSU+Configuration+Guide

I had forgotten this. :-) ...

So I will open a request w/ AS.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2020

@Johnathan Garrett-Sinclair, I wanted to circle back an close off on this. I opened a ticket w/ Atlassian and had a discussion w/ them. Basically, this is working as designed but the Help text and documentation is leading you to believe it works differently, i.e. the way you & I had hoped. Hopefully this brings some closure to your question.

here are the details....

I definitely understand that sometimes the text implemented might not be the best and I also checked that our documentation about this does not explain the difference between each validator:

I ensure you that I'll take this forward and raise awareness about this documentation misunderstanding.

• Field Required Validator --> Field must not be empty during the transition.
  • Field has been modified Validator --> Field value must be changed during the transition.

The major difference between these two validators is that the Required Validator only validates if there is a value on the field, while the other one validates if this field's value is being changed, for example, if you set a version number and the field asks you to change it after some transition, it will not allow you to keep the same existing.

Johnathan Garrett-Sinclair March 31, 2020

@Jack Brickey Thank you so much for all this information, I must admit I am a bit overwhelmed and haven't fully digested it but in short does this mean a compulsory Time Spent Field is not possible?

Like # people like this
0 votes
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 26, 2020
Johnathan Garrett-Sinclair February 27, 2020

Thanks but this only tells me how to set up Time Tracking, not how to add it as a validator and fix the issue I am having once it is being tested 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer