Time spent in status

Walt McKinney January 5, 2017

What is the best way to learn how much time a specific issue spent in a specific status?

For example, I have a Priority 1 issue with an SLA of 1 hour. Not only do I want to know whether the SLA was met or breached, but I want to know how much time it specifically spent in the initial 'Waiting For Support' status. Did the agent pull it in 5 minutes? 50 minutes? Open to addons if that's the solution, but if this is a capability of JIRA Service Desk out of box I'd love to know.

Thanks!

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2017

This is an area that has always frustrated me w/ JIRA. I have always felt it should be there natively and I see this as an important feature. Just yesterday I was trying to analyze 2016 activities and would love to have a view that showed average time in each status for a given project. There is a dashboard gadget "Average time in status" that I have never gotten to work but likely a misunderstanding on my part. I keep coming back to it to try an figure it out but get frustrated and push it aside. If you use server there is a plugin (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.obss.plugin.time-in-status/server/overview) that may be the ticket. Unfortunately I'm on cloud so no luck there.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2017

this topic peeked my interest. Here is a AA thread on the "Average time in status gadget" that might help - How do I get the "Average Time In Status" chart to work?. I'm going to have another go at it.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2017

the article helped and I at least got the chart to 'work' but it still falls short of my needs and I have to export to excel and create the tables/charts I want. I may look at MS BI to see if it could be useful now that it is integrated w/ JIRA cloud.

Mark Kern [SaaSJet] December 17, 2018

HI, Will

There is a solution available for Jira Cloud version to calculate time in status. It allows to generate reports of how long issues stood in a specific status and еxport your data to XLS or CSV (analyze it using your favorite tools, e.g. Excel or Google Spreadsheets). This is an add-on "Time in Status for Jira Cloud" by SaaSJet.

Hope, it will help you.

Like danylo.o likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2018

@Mark Kern [SaaSJet], I haven't tried this addon. Looks like it was recently released. It seems a bit pricey and I only see one review. What has been your experience with the app? Do you know how it deals w/ reentrant workflows? That is, how is time captured for time in status if it leaves a status and later returns to that status? Is it cumulative or does it reset?

Mark Kern [SaaSJet] December 25, 2018

@Jack Brickey, Yes, this add-on is really released recently. That's why there aren't many reviews. Although, it provides the solution you can't find in the Jira Cloud, just out-of-the-box.

We're using it to track our Kanban-based development efficiency.

Time in status calсulations are cumulative in this plugin. If the user leaves the status of the issue and later returns to the previous one, values will be summed up. For example: the task was 2 hours in status A , then in the status B - 1 hour, then it returned to the status A for 2 hours. As result, the amount of time task was stayed in the status A - 3 hours, in the status B - 1 hour.

Moreover, if you have changes in the work schedule, for example, a break for lunch for the support team. Duration of the time in status can be deducted.

For example, the team is working from 9 am to 6 pm, with an hour break. Then if the task in the status "in progress" was open at 9 am on the one day and ended at 10 am to the next day. It has lasted physically 13 hours, but according to the applied team schedule - 9 hours.

Like Brian Mitchell likes this
Mark Kern [SaaSJet] December 25, 2018

Let me know if you have any question 

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 9, 2019

@Jack Brickey

The original Time in Status app now has Server, Data Center and Cloud options.