Test project and production project in the same instance

Andrea C December 1, 2021

Hi,

I configured a project in Jira Service Management and now the team that is using it is happy with the final result.

I would like to keep the project as my test environment and with all the necessary permissions set, it won't be visible to the final customers.

I would also like to clone the project and configure the cloned project as the production project.

I have seen that there are add-ons like Project Configurator for Jira that do exactly what I need, but I think I understood that it requires two instances of Jira and I would like to do everything in one instance.

Is there an easy solution like making configuration changes to one project and pushing it to another project, while this project is in use?

Thanks,

Andrea

1 answer

0 votes
Joaquin Fernández Morales
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2021

Hi Andrea, 

Unfortunately Project Configurator was designed to migrate projects between different instances and not to copy configurations between projects in the same JIRA instance. What you need requires some manual changes, i.e .:

• You can export the project with the desired configuration (configuration project). generating a xml file.
  • Edit that xml file to replace the project name and project key of the exported project with the project name and project key of the target project.
  • Import that modified xml file and review the import simulation to check all the changes before applying them. 

Those manual changes have to be done very carefully, so I recommend that you test it in a staging instance first.

I hope it helps. 

Suggest an answer