Suppress "Update Parent Issue" pop-up?

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2013

In GH, I have stories with sub-tasks and stories show as swimlanes with the sub-tasks underneath.

When all the sub-tasks are moved to our Done (closed state) column, a pop up is presented that says:

"Update Parent Issue

All sub-tasks for parent issue XYZ-01 are now Closed.

Do you want to update this parent issue to match?"

I understand this is normally helpful, but not for us.

Is there any way to suppress it?

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2013

Hey there, Doug.

I don't think that this can be configured via the JIRA UI itself. Since this requires the customisation of your source code, we would recommend you to either contact the following channel that might be able to provide you with the assistance that you need.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Danial

14 votes
bishopgames April 23, 2020

To fix this, we added an "invisible" column to our columns layout for the subtasks board.

image.png

Since this column has no status, it doesn't show up in the board.

This popup is triggered when all sub-tasks reach the right most column. Since the "Done" column is no longer there, the popup is effectively suppressed.

Jasper Knops May 11, 2020

You are a genius! I don't have any admin privileges so this is a nice workaround.

Like brooke likes this
Mechee June 22, 2020

😍 love it!!

Like brooke likes this
Kamil Sudoł August 12, 2020

OMG - give this guy an award or something! Thank you @bishopgames !

Like brooke likes this
Yorann Baron April 7, 2021

Superb trick, Thanks !

QW Admin April 25, 2021

Thank you for this simple solution to another naughty 'feature'.

Yana Stoliarova December 5, 2022

Incredible finding. We are using this solution over a year now. Thanks a lot for the advice!

1 vote
Felipe Carasso May 5, 2020

Please update the accepted answer. bishopgames' is the best by far.

1 vote
Kent Ladenberger February 6, 2019

I was frustrated by the same issue. That's essentially a Post Function that is running that we cannot control and is not visible in the list of post functions. Naughty.

Here's an easy workaround to at least disable the modal so your team can avoid spending time on an unhelpful modal that actually tempts them to update to the incorrect status:

1. Make a copy of your Story workflow so you can edit it.

2. Edit the copy of your Story workflow so you cannot get to DONE without passing through READY TO ACCEPT (or whatever your desired pre-DONE state is). For me, I removed the ability to transition to DONE from ALL other statuses.

3. Save the changes.

4. Swap your story workflows and Publish.

5. Test. When you complete all tasks on a story, the modal to Update Parent Status to DONE should not appear.

Guy LaRochelle April 8, 2019

I don't know why, but this does not work for me.

I removed the ability to transition to "Done" from all other statuses and created a "Ready to approve" status before "Done" and only one transition in between the two.

Although I cannot select the "Done" status in the issue or on the story board, when I move all sub tasks to done, I still get the damn dialog box. Somehow, Jira is able to set the "Done" status even though the issue is not set to "Ready to approve". Even if I click "Cancel" on that popup, there is a "Move to Done" button on the user story swimlane that I can click on and it successfully sets the status to "Done". !!

1 vote
Jake Fisher March 31, 2015

I was able to edit the header.jsp to turn this off see this answer

0 votes
Kent Ladenberger February 6, 2019

I was frustrated by the same issue. That's essentially a Post Function that is running that we cannot control and is not visible in the list of post functions. Naughty.

Here's an easy workaround to at least disable the modal so your team can avoid spending time on an unhelpful modal that actually tempts them to update to the incorrect status:

1. Make a copy of your Story workflow so you can edit it.

2. Edit the copy of your Story workflow so you cannot get to DONE without passing through READY TO ACCEPT (or whatever your desired pre-DONE state is). For me, I removed the ability to transition to DONE from ALL other statuses.

3. Save the changes.

4. Swap your story workflows and Publish.

5. Test. When you complete all tasks on a story, the modal to Update Parent Status to DONE should not appear.

0 votes
NathanG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2016

I just posted on the JIRA Software suggestion: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-8770

Essentially, you can use Script Runner to temporarily disable the "Closed" transition for the parent issue... and thus the popup won't be displayed.

Suggest an answer