Summary field - autofill or remove

Bridget Annear April 18, 2018

Using JiraCore Cloud is there a way to have the Summary field either:

1. Not appear at all?
  2. Or autopopulate with pre-defined values?

We do not desire to users enter values here, as we need them to be consistent, and will have required fields that need to be entered into a specific format.

The Summary field being freeform is not ideal for the set-up we would like to create.

Thanks for your help!

3 answers

0 votes
Alis-Hathway Ward (DO NOT USE) January 18, 2022

We've done something similar for Description (no idea why, but that's another convo). Our solve was to create a 'tab' in the screen config and put anything we don't want to have readily visible on that 'tab'. 

You don't want to remove it from summaries even if you could because it's a required field and any third-party plugins/integrations you end up using (maybe not now, but perhaps later on) won't be able to create or manage issues without it.

0 votes
M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2018

Hi Bridget,

I can suggest a workaround. 

Since you cannot remove/hide the summary field, you can use a post-function in your workflow to set a default value. Besides, you can add a description to the summary in order to inform your user that the summary will be overwritten. 

Hope it helps. 

cheers

smartopian February 6, 2019

Hi, 

I have this issue, the Summary field is required and has no user facing purpose. 

We either need to autofill this filed or autofill and hide this field.  We are using Jira cloud and the script in the description field does not work.  (am assuming this fix is for Jira server) 

Can anyone help with this obvious Jira usability issue ? 

Kanetix IT Technical Services January 28, 2020

Running into the same issue as well.  Seems strange to even have this requirement, as the point of service desk is to give a portal for users to enter values we require.  Why Atlassian would assume that means "write a block of text saying whatever you want" as a default required field seems out of sorts.

Going to have to investigate workarounds to keep this from our users.

Diego Cañete September 8, 2022

Hi ,

My solution:

I leave the Summary field visible on the creation screen.

In the schema fields corresponding to the type of incident, I set the value in the description of the Summary field below code:

<script type="text/javascript">
if (document.getElementById("summary").value == "") {
document.getElementById("summary").value = "Auto Completed by the System, fill in the fields below requested.";}
</script>

Then the user in the creation screen appears the field with the preset message.

Then in the post function I fill it with data from the registration form plus the creation date if desired.

image.png

image.png

it work on Jira Server 9.x.

Terry Beavers September 9, 2022

I discovered when I use the javascript solution mentioned here, it disables the inline editing for the project, so I need to go back to the drawing board to figure out a better way to auto-populate the Summary field. :|

pavan March 12, 2023

how did you removed the Request Type field ?

0 votes
Sebastien Jacques
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2018

Hi @Bridget Annear and welcome to the Community!

The Summary field is one of the core required fields in Jira. Yet, you are not the first one to ask this question. I have not tried it myself.

You should take a look at the answers to this old question: Hide Summary Field and Populate During Ticket Creation.

Bridget Annear April 18, 2018

Thanks @Sebastien Jacques, I did some searching through the forums and tried the following: 

I am unable to set Summary Field default value

Summary field required

Unfortunately neither gave the results we were hoping for, so I wonder if it's a limitation to JiraCore Cloud? vs JiraCore Server/Jira, etc?

It also appears the link that you supplied may just be for Jira rather than JiraCore?

Suggest an answer