Squads and chapters, how to create a linkage between the teams

Mark Fan December 9, 2022

In Agile, you often have chapters and squads, one chapter leads with chapter members, and usually chapter members are spread across different squads working on projects. 

Is there a way to link all chapter members in Jira and create a view of their progress on projects in different squads? and to give good visibility of team resources utilisation 

Thanks 

2 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2022

Hi @Mark Fan -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

First thing, and in my experience, I find "chapter" and "squad" are not common agile practice terms, and instead are parts of a couple of niche explanations of agile organizations.  Perhaps you could clarify what you mean by those terms.  For example, is "squad" a delivery team and "chapter" a collection of teams, or perhaps a discipline area, such as "engineering" or "user experience"?  Knowing your definitions will help the community to offer ideas.

Next, using Jira terminology, if you have multiple groups of people using different Jira projects and Jira boards, it would be possible to create JQL filters and additional boards or dashboards to rollup or summarize the results.

However, your idea of "resources utilisation" for agile teams puzzles and worries me.  Would you please clarify what problem you are trying solve by doing that, and what "good visibility" would mean to you?

Thanks, and kind regards,
Bill

Mark Fan December 12, 2022

Thanks Bill, chapter is people with same skills, i.e. engineering. 

Do you mind expand on what is the concern around "resoruce utilisation" 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2022

Thanks for clarifying, Mark

My concern was there seem to be agile teams (i.e. squads), and apparently the need is to measure skill-capacity (i.e. chapter) across teams, rather than letting the teams manage that themselves.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding what that measure helps with across teams.  Is it to help the teams identify they are missing capacity by skill?

Back to your original question, most reporting in Jira uses issues to drive things, not the people working on them.  Although you could assign attributes to the users by "chapter", I am not aware of any built-in reporting to help with that.  You could possibly use those attributes with dashboard gadgets...if you can get at the chapter information; perhaps using user groups.  Again, this would be based on issues and assignees, not capacity which is not yet assigned.

0 votes
Lakshey Tromenz December 9, 2022

Use Jira and Confluence together

Read this article might help you out  Here

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events