Sprints undesirably shared over projects

2Solar software February 27, 2020

I have a couple of projects, configured a "Classic software". Each project has a board (i know a board is not per connected to a project) and it's own backlog. Now the issue is that the backlogs some sort of seem to have connected: i see sprints that are made in the backlog of Project X on the backlog of project Y; although they both only have issues that are in the project they're in. But, when renaming one of these sprints (either in Project X or Y), it is changed in the other backlog as well. How do i disentangle this?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2020

Hello @2Solar software

Welcome to Atlassian Support.

Per your description, it seems that the same Sprint is displaying on two different projects (X and Y), although it should only be displayed in project X. Is that correct?

Please, allow me to provide you with some details on what can cause this issue so we can be on the same page: 

Just like Boards, Sprints are completely independent, so it can be added to multiple Projects or Boards, just like described in the KB below:

Sprints appearing on multiple boards in Jira server 

That being said, a Sprint will be displayed on a board every time someone added a Sprint to any issue returned by that board filter. Here are some of the actions that could cause this behavior:

1 - An issue is moved from one project to another. If the Sprint from the previous project is not cleared from the moved issue, the sprint related to the issue will start displaying in the new board

2 - The board filter is edited, returning the issues also included in a different board and with different Sprints

3 - Any issue was manually added with the Sprint of a different project

The steps to fix it would be:

- Navigate to the board where the Sprints are unexpectedly appearing > board settings > Edit filter query

- At the end of the filter query (before the ORDER parameter), add the following parameter with the name of the Sprint that is wrongly displaying in the board and run the query, but don't save it:

and sprint = yoursprintname

- Now, you have the issues that are wrongly configured with the Sprint. You can change it to the correct Sprint of your project or clear the field, optionally using the bulk operation feature.

Let us know if you have any questions.

2Solar software March 1, 2020

Very clear answer Petter, thanks a lot!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2020

You are welcome, @2Solar software

Have a nice week.

0 votes
Lester W October 11, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves This is not a VIEW filter issue. The issue is that, when assigning a sprint to a task, the drop down shows ALL sprints from ALL projects. It is really annoying not to mention confusing. Like many others, I want to have PER PROJECT Sprints.

This issue goes back to 2015: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Sprints-shared-across-all-projects/qaq-p/342437

JiraSprints.png

Can we please get per project sprints?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
October 12, 2020

Hello @Lester W

Thank you for reaching out.

I would like to mention that this question is about a different behavior from the one you mentioned:

This question is about the appearance of unrelated Sprints in the project board itself (Backlog and Kanban), while the behavior mentioned by you is about the Sprint field drop-down returning sprints from many different projects. We agree with you that this could be one of the many reasons that can cause the initial issue described in this question, but as I mentioned above there are many other possible reasons for that.

That being said, there are many teams that use Sprints cross projects, so the restriction of that field by boards of specific projects would cause more issues than solve them. Instead of that approach, we created the following feature request to add a warning to the Sprint field in order to make the user aware that he is adding a Sprint from a board allocated in a different project:

Ability to restrict the sprints shown in the 'Sprint Field' 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer