Specific user doesn't receive JIRA's e-mail notifications

IT March 1, 2021

Hi, one of our users does not receive JIRA's mail notifications.

E-mail notifications are enabled on the user's JIRA profile.

Tried to send test mail from jira@smag-jira.atlassian.net to myself, it is OK.

Tried to send to the user, mail never comes.

There is no trace of the mail on our Exchange 365 server.

Could the user be blackisted somewhere on the JIRA side ?

Thanks for your answer.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2021

Hello @IT,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Checking Camille’s email address, I was able to find a bounce related to the following error:

550: 550 5.4.1 Recipient address rejected: Access denied. AS({hex}) [VE1EUR01FT041.eop-EUR01.prod.protection.outlook.com]

I removed this bounce and the notifications should work now. 

Please, take your time to test and let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Angélica

IT March 3, 2021

Hello @Angélica Luz , thanks for your quick and useful answer. This time, it seems to work with the test notification mail. I'll tell you it the "real" ones work :) Thanks a lot @Angélica Luz @Dirk Ronsmans 

Like Angélica Luz likes this
felix.weber March 24, 2021

Finally after contacting the Atlassian Support this was a similar case - thanks for posting! 

felix.weber March 24, 2021

@Angélica Luz can you give us more details on which condition mails to an account won´t be sent anymore ? 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 24, 2021

Hi @felix.weber,

It depends on the mail server actually. Some errors are related to mailbox unavailable, access denied, the account that doesn’t exist, the recipient is invalid. 

For example, Jira sends a notification and the mailbox is unavailable, it will bounce and no new notifications will be delivered. Jira keeps sending notifications, but due to that, they won’t be delivered, so we have access to remove this block or bounce.

It’s important to whitelist our domains and IPs to make sure everything works, it may prevent this issue from happening:

- Atlassian cloud IP ranges and domains 

Kind regards,
Angélica

Artem Pavlov March 24, 2023

hi @Angélica Luz !

could you please assist with the same problem of our user?

Should I provide you with his email address which just stopped receiving email notification from Jira?
It's sergej.kascuk@dom-group.de

could you please help?

1 vote
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Hi @IT ,

First thing you can do is use the notification helper to see if that gives you any clue.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/use-the-jira-admin-helper/

If that seems fine we'll have to get Atlassian involved either through a ticket (https://support.atlassian.com/contact) or by escalating here (depends on your cloud plan)

Only they have access to the logs.

IT March 3, 2021

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans , the JIRA admin helper unfortunately didn't help, as the user doesn't receive any mail from JIRA, regardless of the ticket.

Could we make the escalation from here ?

Thanks.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2021

I'll flag them in this question and maybe they can see in the logs if something is being blocked.

I'm guessing the notification helper then said that normally this person should get the emails?

IT March 3, 2021

Sure, here is a screenshot of the helper. As reporter, the user gets notifications inside JIRA interface, but no mail notifications.

Jz6oADWCSa.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events