Slack integration not automatically creating links

Christopher Burns May 8, 2020

Maybe I am remembering incorrectly, or not understanding this, but doesn't the Jira Cloud integration for Slack (Atlassian's) automatically take a ticket ID and make it a link?

I thought I should be able to write a message in Slack referencing ticket PS-123 and have that show up as a link to the ticket in Jira.

Is this not correct? If it is, I cannot get it to work for some reason...

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 8, 2020

Hey Christopher, welcome to the Community!

The feature you're describing is an issue preview or unfurl:

Jia+Slack+3

To get this working, you'll need to connect your Slack channel to a project in Jira. Each Jira project that you want to have unfurls for will need to be connected to the channel.

1. Type /jira connect in the Slack channel you want to get issue previews in
  2. Use the dropdowns in the channel to select which Jira instance/project you want to connect to (and then click the green Connect button)
  3. (optional) click through to Jira (with the Manage button in the confirmation you saw in Slack) to adjust which actions trigger a Jira notification. If you want unfurls only, just remove all the notification triggers and click Save changes in Jira. Example of a notification configuration that does unfurls only:
    image.png
    No triggers but still having the channel connection will do unfurls for the project without other notifications.

Cheers,
Daniel

Christopher Burns May 8, 2020

Thank you, Daniel!

That was exactly what I was looking for. I thought of this, but was under the impression that it was just for adding notifications, which I already have a dedicate channel for.

This works perfectly!

Zahoor Malik January 20, 2021

How to do this for the whole workspace? or multiple channels or DMs at once. Thanks

0 votes
Mohamad Eghlima December 6, 2021

I do not want it to show the Jira ticket summary beneath every message. I remember there was a way that we could have the issue name hyperlinked! in that way whenever i was writing my message and it has CPT-1234, when post that message to the channel, it was not showing extra stuff, it was just make the CPT-1234 hyperlinked so everyone could click on it and the jira ticket was opening in browser tab. Can you help me to implement this for our channel?

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2021

Hi @Mohamad Eghlima , welcome to the Community!

The previews for the native Slack and Jira Cloud integration can be managed per-channel or per-user with the /jira previews command in Slack.

image.png

However, there is no functionality in the official app that changes an issue key (e.g. KEY-123) into a hyperlink. Jira, Confluence, and other Atlassian applications will try to convert these keys to hyperlinks if the issues are on the same Jira site or app-linked together. Perhaps that might be where you remember this functionality coming from.

If you do not wish to use previews, you could still drop a full URL (https://yoursite.atlassian.net/browse/JIRA-123) to create a link to the issue.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Like Mohamad Eghlima likes this
Jay August 31, 2023

I see. 
People would probably prefer to just type XXX-123 and then this gets underlined and becomes a hyperlink to the ticket automatically. 
That would be nice, because if I would type XXX-123, XXX-124, XXX-125 I certainly don't want three previews to be created. 

Like Abraham Brookes likes this
Abraham Brookes September 21, 2023

Seconded, unfurling is far too spammy especially in standups where multiple people are posting lists of task numbers. A hyperlink would be far better!

Zeno November 12, 2023

@Daniel Eads Can you please help me understand why this doesn't work at all for me unless i paste a full url to the ticket? 

Screenshot 2023-11-13 104231.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events