Show user name rather than user id in search field

Joey Li July 19, 2020

Previously in my filter, it shows user name which is very clear to tell who is included in the filter. But now it shows user id instead, I could not tell who is in and who is not. Please tell me how can I show user name in the filter? Thank you!

Untitled.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2020

Hi Joey - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Due to GDPR compliance, you will not be able to see the user name in the filter anymore. 

You can copy the id and then go to Settings > User Management to see the person's name. You will need select a user first, then sub out the ID in the URL Address and hit enter to see who that user is. 

Joey Li July 20, 2020

What a pity! However, thank you for the quick reply!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2020

You are welcome. 

carol_detamore September 28, 2020

This really doesn't help when trying to do bulk imports from a file, or like Joey states, when trying to ensure you have your complete team listed in a filter.  There should be a way at least for admins to see actual user names.  Having to type a user id leaves room for errors that will be more difficult to locate.

Like # people like this
Tom Holden November 17, 2020

This really hurts when trying to make a filter public as no one can tell who is included in the filter. Can we have a non-GDPR switch in our admin panel for this if we don't need it? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2020

Hey guys - this is not the place to put in requests for new enhancements. You will need to do that here:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Tom Holden November 17, 2020

Sorry, I just wanted the old behavior, nothing new. But I will go and put a request there to get the old behavior back.

Like John Funk likes this
Tom Holden November 20, 2020

There are a couple work-arounds that I have found. 

1. Type in the complete email address of the user. For example:

"user1@yourcompany.com","user2@yourcompany.com"

These are not converted to the ID.

2. Utilize groups from the admin setup. Create the groups you want to put in a filter and then use the "membersof()" function in your filter. This could be cumbersome as you probably don't want to create a group for every unique collection of people you have in your Jira instance. Method 1 should work for those smaller groups.

Like # people like this
Joey Li November 22, 2020

The work-around is awesome! Quite helpful for me! Many thanks! @Tom Holden 

Like John Funk likes this
Kiran Rapelly October 4, 2022

An update, we can't use '@' anymore, instead use '\u0040', so 'user1\u0040@yourcompany.com'

Bill Rawlinson May 22, 2023

I was still able to use the ampersand in an email such as "john@smith.com" and the JQL works okay.

0 votes
Soumya Navaneeth April 21, 2021

One more way to check User ID & name mapping is to Export the Users from User Management.

The Generated Excel will have the ID & Names.

Jira.png

carol_detamore April 21, 2021

Yes, but this is a very cumbersome way to have to check when you're in the middle of a search filter and trying to verify the list of members in your criteria even if you have small teams.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events