Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Show Story Points Estimate in Backlog View

Edited

For the past several years, our team has been using the field "story points" for both the original estimate as well as adjusting the story. But we determined that not all team members were adjusting their story points when the work was completed. 

We decided to adjust to using the story points estimate field for the estimation and then when a ticket was transitioned to "QA Review" to force the engineer to update the actual story points.

After we made this change the story points column in the backlog view does not show the estimates, and only pulls from story points. 

Is there a way to change this? (I don't want story points estimate to show on the actual card as recommended here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-do-I-show-story-points-estimates-on-tasks-in-new-sprints-in/qaq-p/908285)

RL App Scrum Teams (All) - Agile Board - JIRA 2022-01-04 10-39-35.png

Additionally can anyone provide some general usage recommendations on usage for story points estimate vs story points and how to use these fields in a useful way

Goals of the usage of these two fields

• better reporting on variances where tickets might be estimating incorrectly
  • better reporting on actual story points
  • What else should I be focusing on when it comes to the use of these two fields?

1 answer

After reading a bit more here, I could make a custom field called "estimated effort" and use that. Open to other suggestions

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

👋 Looking for 15-20 volunteers to test Atlassian training content

Hi everyone! Are you interested in beta testing Atlassian University’s newest (unreleased!) training course? We’re looking for 15-20 volunteers to test our newest training course, Basic reporting...

811 views 24 28
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you