Show Story Points Estimate in Backlog View

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2022

For the past several years, our team has been using the field "story points" for both the original estimate as well as adjusting the story. But we determined that not all team members were adjusting their story points when the work was completed. 

We decided to adjust to using the story points estimate field for the estimation and then when a ticket was transitioned to "QA Review" to force the engineer to update the actual story points.

After we made this change the story points column in the backlog view does not show the estimates, and only pulls from story points. 

Is there a way to change this? (I don't want story points estimate to show on the actual card as recommended here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-do-I-show-story-points-estimates-on-tasks-in-new-sprints-in/qaq-p/908285)

RL App Scrum Teams (All) - Agile Board - JIRA 2022-01-04 10-39-35.png

Additionally can anyone provide some general usage recommendations on usage for story points estimate vs story points and how to use these fields in a useful way

Goals of the usage of these two fields

• better reporting on variances where tickets might be estimating incorrectly
  • better reporting on actual story points
  • What else should I be focusing on when it comes to the use of these two fields?

1 answer

0 votes
Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2022

After reading a bit more here, I could make a custom field called "estimated effort" and use that. Open to other suggestions

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events