Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Share settings with an existing project takes away the board for the configured project

I am attempting to create a new software project that has the same setup as an existing one (I have several workflows configured for multiple projects). Yet upon creating with "shared settings" - no board is there for the new project. The system just states that "this project does not have a board". Is there any workaround to it?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk Community Leader Jun 23, 2022

Hi Dmitry - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What type of project is the existing one that you are copying from? 

Does the existing project indeed have a board? If so, you can just copy that board. 

Thank you, glad to be here!
Company managed, all of them. Some are Kanban, some are Scrum. Yet after ticking off "share settings" - the new project does not have any board at all. Why is that? and how do I establish a board there?

Creating a project based on a previous project will not create a board (nor copy the existing one). So if you like the board of the existing one, you can copy it, then change the filter to use the project of the newly created project. Or you can create a board from scratch based on an existing project and use the new project. 

So, to sum it up, it is impossible to create a project with "sharing the settings of an existing" such that it will automatically create a board inside, right?

how do you copy a boards from one project to another, where there is no board?

Yes, that is correct

Go to the list of boards and search for the board you want to copy. Then click on the 3 dots to the right side and choose copy. 

Once it is copied, go to Board Settings > General and edit change the filter to use a filter with the new project for the new board. 

This is then what it shows me when I try to change the location of the board from an existing project to the newly created.
Screenshot 2022-06-23 at 21.07.37.png

Did you change the filter first? 

Yes. Changed the Jql query for the order to be in the new project as well as renamed it as the new project

John Funk Community Leader Jun 24, 2022

Can you change the Location to your personal profile? 

Yes. How does it help?

Sadly, still can't figure how that should work properly.

John Funk Community Leader Jun 28, 2022

Are you still getting the error even after changing the Location to your personal profile? 

John Funk Community Leader Jun 29, 2022

Sorry, but it's probably time to open a support ticket with Atlassian. 

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

An update on Jira Software customer feedback – June 2022

Hello Atlassian Community! Feedback from customers like you has helped us shape and improve Jira Software. As Head of Product, Jira Software, I wanted to take this opportunity to share an update on...

148 views 2 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you