Set custom multiple user field to reporter if empty

kayla December 31, 2019

Hello! 

I created a Custom Field called "Reviewer" that has a type of User Picker (multiple users). If this field is null when an issue is created, I'd like the value to be set to the Reporter for the issue. 

I'm using JWT, but it doesn't seem to allow Custom Fields to be adjusted in the Update Fields (JWT) post function.

In the built-in "Update Issue Custom Field" post function, I can choose my "Reviewer" field as the value to change, but I can't figure out how to set it based on the issue's Reporter. 

Is there a guide somewhere about the way to access values of jira fields? I think I should be able to do something like `issue.reporter`, but haven't found any documentation.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2019

Hi Kayla,

You are probably not going to be able to do that with out of the box Jira. We use both JMWE (Jira Miscellaneous Workflow Extensions) and Automation For Jira to handle those types of updates. 

kayla December 31, 2019

Thank you @John Funk , installing Automation for Jira allowed me to quickly set that rule up. I created a rule for:

* When: Issue Created
* Issue Fields Condition: if the field "Reviewer" is empty
* Then: Edit Issue Fields: selected the field "Reviewer" and chose the "Copy From" option and picked "Reporter"

That fixed my issue! 

Like Jasmin Winger likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2019

Great! And they have wonderful support if you run into any problems also.  :-)

Like kayla likes this

Suggest an answer