• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Seeing a burn down based on Σ Original Estimate

Hi - I would like to set my scrum board to burn down based on Σ Original Estimate. That is, as the sub-tasks of a task have time logged or are completed, I want to see this reflected in the burndown. Is this possible? 

1 answer

0 votes

You do not burn down on sub-tasks when you're doing Scrum, and hence Jira does not support it.

But if my sub-tasks all have a original estimate, completing sub-tasks is basically logging time. If my user story has a sigma original estimate of 1 week, and a sub-task has an original estimate of 1 day, why shouldn't the remaining time be 4 days once the sub-task is closed? 

There's no "but" here.  You do not burn down on sub-tasks. Whatever estimate is put on them is irrelevant to burn down.

That is not what burn-down is for.  It is not measuring time spent or partial completion.  It measures what you deliver against what you said you would.

So, the sigma original estimate is just a convenient way to add the original estimates of my sub-tasks. If I log time on my sub-tasks, there is no way to show "sigma logged time." I have to log time only on the parent ticket for remaining time to show. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Announcing the waitlist for Jira Work Management

Hey there Cloud Community members! We’re excited to give you the first glimpse of the new home for business teams on Jira — Jira Work Management. Jira Work Management is the next generation of J...

640 views 10 16
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you