Scrum: Show subtasks indented under parent task in both Backlog and Sprint

Bryan Schmiedeler July 22, 2019

We are using classic scrum boards in our Project and are having issues with how subtasks are displayed.

I am able to configure a Kanban Backlog to appear just as I would like:

Tasks have a disclosure triangle if they have any subtasks.

The triangle can be closed or open

Below the Nw's disclosure triangle is closed, and the Modify Configuration Task farther down is open and there are 4 subtasks below it.

c111.png

In a Kanban Sprint (sorry image is somewhat blurry, we see the Tasks, and the subtasks are listed directly below, but you cannot click on them in this view. The subtasks don't show anywhere else in the list; you can open the Task from there and then open each individual subtask.

c222.png

In the Scrum Backlog basically looks and works the same as the Kanban Sprint, which seems kind of odd to me. No need to show the picture.

In the Scrum Sprint we see a card with the Task and again in the subtasks listed in the bottom of the Task Card, and the subtasks are also each listed below the Task, and they are indented a bit indicating that they "belong" to the Parent Task.

444.png

We have wildly inconstant ways of presenting Tasks and Subtasks.

I really want my Scrum Backlog to look and work like the Kanban Backlog. That just seems right and natural to me. 

The Scrum Sprint is OK, but ideally I would like the Sprint to work as the Backlog, in that there is a disclosure triangle or maybe the subtasks are indented farther to the right. 

My questions:

1.  Is there any way to achieve this without really really changing Jira?
2. Is trying to change how the Scrum is laid out am I working against best practices for Jira, Scrums, and Agile.
3. I have just started to look at the Marketplace and there are a ton of add-ons. I saw some like "Structure" which might be overkill, but would love to find add-on that would hit several pain points for me including:

a. This question. Would like to have more ability to change the look and feel of boards, sprints, etc.
          b. Make issue screens more attractive and efficient. I have a custom field [checkbox] which has about 6 different options and there seems to be no easy way to present the options horizontally instead of vertically. The default way wastes so much space!

Any help would be appreciated!

1 answer

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2022

Hi @Bryan Schmiedeler

Unfortunately, this is not possible for subtasks to show in the backlog.

Best option is to submit a feature request and see if there is enough interest.

Regards

Suggest an answer