Scrum AND Kanban board for a project?

Hey there,

I have a project that I created a scrum board for. However I am noticing that the work is probably more suited to Kanban. Can I create a Kanban board for the same project and just use that instead?

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

You can just create a new Kanban board and remove the old one (or make the filter private so that no one else uses it).

Hi 

I have set up 11 boards all referencing a single project - 10 are SCRUM boards and one is a KANBAN board. All you have to do is create a new board and select the project - the same way that you did when creating the original board. The filter of each board is different and references different issues within the same project based on custom fields, etc.

What I'm investigating now is whether it is possible to have issues appear on two boards at once - one KANBAN and then once it reaches a certain phase it should then also appear on a SCRUM board.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, I'm curious if you learned anything from the investigation you referred to in this answer

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding! The filter queries of each board control what issues are displayed, so it is definitely possible to have multiple boards referencing the same set of issues. For example, I've just created two boards now: * Both reference the same project. * Kanban board I've left with the default filter query - eg "project = LHGSD ORDER BY Rank ASC" * Scrum board I've amended the default filter query by adding that it should only display issues in a certain status - eg "project = LHGSD AND issuetype = Support AND status = "In Development" ORDER BY Rank ASC" * Now both boards reference the same project, with the Kanban board showing all issues, and the Scrum board only showing issues in the In Development status. Cheryl

And then you just need to make sure that you configure the workflow in a way that allows transitioning of issues to the statuses that you need, and that your board columns are configured to display the issues as you need to see them (this is mainly for the Kanban board).

Thank you Cheryl! The layout we ended up for now is 2 projects, one has Scrum board, another has Kanban with modified default filter to show issues from first Scrum based project. Each project has own components, versions and so on what might be a good or bad solution depending on what you need. Also it requires to "harmonize" statuses as well, e.g. "done" on one board is also "done" in another.

of course you can run parallel boards on one project

Hi do you have a reference to how one can do that? I haven't found that anywhere maybe I misunderstood. You mean I can have a project with parallel boards but completly independent only related by the fact that they are used to manage the same project. Could I have an overview of the tasks running on both boards, could I release on the same project versioning line and finally could I create for the project and then allow the manager to select which Board to use?

Hello, I have the same questions as David. Can someone please respond back to us? Thanks!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Apr 22, 2018 in Jira Software

How-to setup a secured Jira Software 7.9.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 in less than 30 minutes

...PermissionsStartOnly=true User=www-data Group=www-data ExecStart=/opt/jira/bin/startup.sh ExecStop=/opt/jira/bin/shutdown.sh TimeoutStartSec=120 TimeoutStopSec=600 PrivateTmp=true [Install] WantedBy...

1,483 views 10 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you