Scrum AND Kanban board for a project?

Jeff Guthrie December 16, 2012

Hey there,

I have a project that I created a scrum board for. However I am noticing that the work is probably more suited to Kanban. Can I create a Kanban board for the same project and just use that instead?

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jeff Guthrie January 6, 2013

You can just create a new Kanban board and remove the old one (or make the filter private so that no one else uses it).

1 vote
Cheryl Childs [Dreamsmiths] December 11, 2014

Hi 

I have set up 11 boards all referencing a single project - 10 are SCRUM boards and one is a KANBAN board. All you have to do is create a new board and select the project - the same way that you did when creating the original board. The filter of each board is different and references different issues within the same project based on custom fields, etc.

What I'm investigating now is whether it is possible to have issues appear on two boards at once - one KANBAN and then once it reaches a certain phase it should then also appear on a SCRUM board.

Cheryl

Dennis Mnuskin November 5, 2015

Hi Cheryl, I'm curious if you learned anything from the investigation you referred to in this answer

GeorgeM November 17, 2015

+1

Cheryl Childs [Dreamsmiths] November 17, 2015

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding! The filter queries of each board control what issues are displayed, so it is definitely possible to have multiple boards referencing the same set of issues. For example, I've just created two boards now: * Both reference the same project. * Kanban board I've left with the default filter query - eg "project = LHGSD ORDER BY Rank ASC" * Scrum board I've amended the default filter query by adding that it should only display issues in a certain status - eg "project = LHGSD AND issuetype = Support AND status = "In Development" ORDER BY Rank ASC" * Now both boards reference the same project, with the Kanban board showing all issues, and the Scrum board only showing issues in the In Development status. Cheryl

Like # people like this
Cheryl Childs [Dreamsmiths] November 17, 2015

And then you just need to make sure that you configure the workflow in a way that allows transitioning of issues to the statuses that you need, and that your board columns are configured to display the issues as you need to see them (this is mainly for the Kanban board).

GeorgeM November 18, 2015

Thank you Cheryl! The layout we ended up for now is 2 projects, one has Scrum board, another has Kanban with modified default filter to show issues from first Scrum based project. Each project has own components, versions and so on what might be a good or bad solution depending on what you need. Also it requires to "harmonize" statuses as well, e.g. "done" on one board is also "done" in another.

Anna Pahlevanyan October 6, 2019

@Cheryl Childs [ 

Hi Cheryl,

I know that this is a post from 4 years ago, but, how did you manage to get 2 boards to share a backlog?

I want to have a Kanban board for everything in my Backlog (so that we can write stories, groom, and size) - all that while issues are still in the backlog, and then once all that is finished - IF they get picked for a sprint - to show them on the "Current Sprint" board.

But as soon as I create a Kanban board, it gets its own backlog - same with the Scrum board. So I end up with 2 backlogs under the same project?

Like MB likes this
Mouli November 13, 2019

@Anna Pahlevanyan  are parallel sprints enabled?

Anna Pahlevanyan November 13, 2019

No, I didn't want parallel sprints.

I figured out what I was doing wrong though.
I was not mapping the statuses on the boards correctly - I kept a lot of them in "Hidden" (via board settings) instead of using the filters

MB May 6, 2020

@Anna Pahlevanyan I am in the process of creating a kanban board to compliment my already existing scrum board.  I want to use the kanabn board to groom the backlog as you described and map through the workflow to the scrum board once chosen for a sprint.  My only question is how do I have my kanban board share the same backlog as my scrum board?  I would really appreciate your assistance in helping me figure this out.

Many thanks,

M

Craig Brookhouse May 6, 2020

Mechelle

1. You can groom your backlog in the backlog of the scrum board, not sure why you need a seperate one, but it sounds like you have a reason..

2.  As mentioned by others, you can create a seperate board, with the same project, and create a filter for that board that would show what you want to show.  so if you want to show only status = New  or what ever your status are that are prior to being worked on add that to your filter for your kanban board.  You can edit it on the kanban board, and depending on what you change, it could move itself to the other board based on the other boards filters. Not sure if im helping

Boards are just a view, and what you see is based on the board filter.      

MB May 6, 2020

Hi @Craig Brookhouse I currently have multiple projects that I manage in two boards with filters that distinguishes what issues are managed from one of the two boards.  I want to use a kanban board to manage the backlog for issues from one of the two boards.

Can I create a kanban board using an existing filter that includes several projects or can I only create a kanban that includes one project and then apply filters?  It doesn't seem to work for a filter that includes several projects.  Sorry, this is fairly new for me and I'm still getting the hang of how to use Jira correctly.  Newbie self training.

Many thanks,

M

Anna Pahlevanyan May 6, 2020
0 votes
michael sam March 17, 2021

Just wandering if you have project with both a scrum and bug Kanban board, will the issues appear in the master board, lets assume Kanban board,? question is will  is issues in sprint and issues designated for a bug Kanban appear in the master Kanaban board/ 

0 votes
Oskar Austegard July 15, 2020

Yes, you can, but you may also want to close out any sprints you may have in progress to avoid noise.

0 votes
Robert_Jonas February 17, 2020

@Anna Pahlevanyan

I think I have the same requirement as you

See my post 

Are using net gen or classic?  I cannot see an option to create multiple boards

Anna Pahlevanyan February 17, 2020

Hi @Robert_Jonas 

I was using next gen (you can't create multiple boards on next gen), I am now using classic

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2012

of course you can run parallel boards on one project

davsantos July 8, 2014

Hi do you have a reference to how one can do that? I haven't found that anywhere maybe I misunderstood. You mean I can have a project with parallel boards but completly independent only related by the fact that they are used to manage the same project. Could I have an overview of the tasks running on both boards, could I release on the same project versioning line and finally could I create for the project and then allow the manager to select which Board to use?

Suzanne Cho September 10, 2014

Hello, I have the same questions as David. Can someone please respond back to us? Thanks!

Craig Brookhouse November 16, 2018

Bueller?

Stanko Devič December 31, 2018

I need an answer to this question as well

Brandon Gustafson February 27, 2019

I'm wondering how this works as well

Arvid Haugen March 2, 2019

I belive this is only possible for Classic project, not next gen projects - right?

Like Jeff.Zygmunt likes this

Suggest an answer