Resources allocation with BigGantt?

lucale July 6, 2021

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to manage with Jira the resources allocation.

In particular:

1. how can I allocate a certain % of a resource on an issue? To be clear, I'd like to allocate to the issue A a 10% of resource 1, to the issue B a 50% of resource 1 in the same period of time
  2. how can I view the capacity of the resources? For example, I'd like to see that resource 1 is occupied for 60% in that time, so I could assign to resource 1 another issue if the requested capacity is less than 40%
  3. how can I set a resource calendar, in orther to take into account personal holidays?

For your information, in my company we have BigGantt plugin.

Kind regards

Luca

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Adam _SoftwarePlant_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 8, 2021

Hi @lucale 

When it comes to BigGantt and resource allocation, please find some answers to your questions below:

1. it is not yet possible to assign multiple resources to a task in BigGantt, although, we do have a task in our backlog created in order to make it happen one day (please kindly see a link to it below and please use browser incognito mode to access it). Currently, it is possible to assign 1 person to 1 task

https://jira.softwareplant.com/browse/ONE-13473

2. unfortunately, you cannot manage resource workload as well as other parameters in BigGantt. For this activity, you may want to consider switching from BigGantt to BigPicture, since it contains quite a number of additional functionalities when compared to BigGantt, including a Resource module dedicated especially to resource management. Please take a look at our documentation page:

- Resources module

3. for setting up Workload/Holiday Plans in BigGantt, and creating global as well as dedicated personal calendars, please navigate to the app Administration. Please also take a look at the pages below, that describes the modules in question in detail:

- Resource Manager

- Workload Plans

- Holiday Plans

I hope this helps!

Have a good day and best regards,

Adam

lucale July 9, 2021

@Adam _SoftwarePlant_ thank you so much, your information are very useful.

Let me be more clear about the point 1, because probably there is a misunderstanding.

My question was actually not referred on how to assign the same task to multiple resources (this is another useful advice you gave me), but how to assign a task to a resource specifying a percentage of that resource.

Resuming the example above, I would like to assign 10% of resource 1 (call him Giorgio) to the task A, and 50% of Giorgio to another task in the same period of time: could you confirm that this is not possibile with BigGantt please?

Best regards

Luca

Adam _SoftwarePlant_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 13, 2021

Hi @lucale 

You are very welcome.

Actually, the two scenarios are connected to one another - once the mentioned ONE-13473 is implemented into production, you will be able to assign a portion of your resource to a task. Currently, such action is not possible, and 1 task can be assigned to 1 person for 100% of his time.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Adam

Suggest an answer