Required fields in next-gen projects?

vicky November 26, 2018

How can I make a field required in a next-gen project?

Also how can I remove standard Jira-created fields from next-gen projects (for example - linked issues)? I don't see any relationship between the next-gen project fields and the issue type screen configurations in Jira settings (I'm using both a next-gen and a classic project in one instanced)

22 answers

42 votes
Carlos Tolosa January 13, 2020

Hello! 2020 arrived and a pretty basic functionality such as mandatory fields is not there yet and its not even in the roadmap. Bump for this.

Maurice Tucker March 27, 2020

Why does Atlassian release new versions without key features

Like # people like this
Bartek Kobyłecki May 6, 2020

The key is what the key means depends on perspective :) 

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2020

I see 31 folks (so far) have voted up this answer - you all should vote on JSWCLOUD-17631! That JAC ticket seems to be the official story for this. 👀

Like Sergei likes this
8 votes
danny_lake January 7, 2020

Next-gen projects shouldn't even be available for general use without this functionality. 

7 votes
Robert Bowell June 25, 2020

Honestly can't believe such a basic feature is missing from a Gartner 2020 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Agile Planning Tool 

6 votes
Jake Leventhal March 15, 2020

Bump on this

3 votes
Steven Paterson November 18, 2020

Next-Gen still does not have the required field option.

However, as a workaround for now. You can create a workflow rule not to allow stories to move from one swimlane to the next.

For example, I have a rule that says that a story cannot move from To Do -> In Development when the "Requesting Customer" dropdown is blank.

NOTE: You can add workflow rules by clicking Edit Workflow from the Issue Types editor and then creating a "Check an issue's field" for the appropriate transition.

Sam Prince November 25, 2021

"Check an issue's field" only seems to allow me to pick built-in fields, not fields I have created.

Like Nick Sturge likes this
Steven Paterson January 7, 2022

@Sam Prince It should work on custom fields. It is working for my custom fields.

2 votes
Aaron Bethea June 16, 2020

This question just came up today in my organization. BUMP.

2 votes
Robin Hill June 12, 2020

BUMP!!!!!

2 votes
Carlos Lopez April 28, 2020

Bump on this

2 votes
Pavan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2018
Joe St.Louis February 28, 2019

I Don't see Required fields on the roadmap anymore @Pavan did this get removed?

Like # people like this
Doug Wieand March 6, 2019

Bump for this

Like # people like this
m.drag March 13, 2019

Bump for this

Like # people like this
Joe St.Louis March 14, 2019
Like Dave Liao likes this
matthewvolk April 3, 2019

Would also like to see this. This functionality is crucial!

Bora_Akyol July 8, 2019

Any news on this, it is unacceptable to omit required fields in the next gen project type.

Like # people like this
Like # people like this
Seshu Konduri September 5, 2019

Hope we get this feature soon. Need mandatory custom fields in next-gen projects.

Like # people like this
Warren Pitallo September 17, 2019

I just started trying Next-Gen and this was the first feature that I was looking for - disappointing that its not available 

Like Stéphanie BRET likes this
Shelly Gramajo September 17, 2019

I'd like this too. I'm surprised at how many truly basic functions are absent from next gen projects.

Like # people like this
Tomasz Mączka October 30, 2019

Hey, when we can expect this function to be available? 

Like # people like this
Vaishnavi Thotieam May 26, 2020

Please can you bump up the priority on this. It is quite important for putting operational controls in place. Without this, it seems useless to have next gen projects.

1 vote
Sarah Clements November 23, 2020

I've just managed to ensure a field is completed before moving to a defined status by using the new workflow tool, along with automation, in a next gen board area. 

There is an ellipsis in the top right, with the option to 'Manage Workflows'. This tool then allows you to create a transition, and add a rule which can make sure a field is of a specific value, or not empty :) 

Not empty is configured by selecting 'does not contain' and leaving the options blank - this wasn't immediately obvious to me so hopefully this helps! 

Sarah Clements November 23, 2020

There are some downsides to this - as a user itsnt told why a status isn't available, it just isn't there, which isn't too helpful. However, if you set up a full workflow, the user will have no options to transition until the data is there - which i suppose is better than no data 

Like Dave Liao likes this
Jadranka Perc November 23, 2020

Thank you! I found it but when tried to restrict moving from QA to Done with Fix Version..this field is not in the dropdown option :((

Lachlan Macnish November 23, 2020

Wow that's awkward. And do we have to do this for every "Issue Type"?

A simple "Required" option when configuring the Issue Type would be nice...

Lachlan Macnish November 23, 2020

Actually answered my own question - the workflow applies to all Issue Types (it only warns you when you go to save). But you would have to apply this rule to every column basically.

Nataly.Rudnitsky March 15, 2021

Couldn't use it for issue creation, any idea how I enforce on creation specific fields to be filled?

Deleted user March 15, 2021

@Nataly.Rudnitsky you can use Jira automation to remove tasks from a sprint (or send an email to the product owner) if they do not pass the DoR check.

You can use this setup to organize your work :)

Screenshot_3.jpg

Like Solntsev Oleksii likes this
1 vote
Chris Hyde July 29, 2020

Is this thing on? We need this feature...

1 vote
Ralphette English January 30, 2020

Can someone confirm if this feature is now available? I do not see it on the roadmap that was shared in Q4. 

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2020

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the interest here.  I unaccepted the previous answer here as it appears that this feature has not yet been implemented in next-gen project, nor is it currently on the roadmap.  

I would invite everyone that comes across this thread and wants to see this feature in next-gen projects to vote on JSWCLOUD-17631.   While this is not the only way we gauge interest, it can be used as a factor in helping to prioritize new features in next-gen. You can also watch that request if you want to see updates on the status of this request.

Thanks

Andy

Mark Ian Saberon March 3, 2020

will vote

Nate Fanaro June 19, 2020

Voted, commented, and honestly not optimistic that this will be addressed any time soon.

Like Chris Hyde likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2020

Voted!

0 votes
Armen Babakanian November 15, 2021

This was posted in 2018, and three years later this has not been resolved. Everyone in the community has complained about this but apparently the company is only concerned about share holder interests not user interests. Definitely looking forward to switching to a better alternative.

0 votes
Jake Leventhal August 29, 2021

bump!

0 votes
Abukamel March 17, 2021

up

0 votes
Deleted user February 25, 2021

Bump!

0 votes
Mike Grande February 3, 2021

Seems like the best solution is to find another product... this is unacceptable

0 votes
Armen Babakanian January 8, 2021

bump

0 votes
Akif Sayeedi May 28, 2020

Any update on this? I would like to know if we can configure the screens on the next-gen projects.

0 votes
Luke Jones May 14, 2020

Bump on this

0 votes
Mark Ian Saberon March 3, 2020

Bump on this

Suggest an answer