Reporting on Ticket Issue History of a Custom Field

Paiton Swaim August 18, 2022

This may be a silly question but I am having trouble thinking of how to accomplish what our team is looking for. 

We have a help desk project that many different teams use. Each team has a different Active Directory group. So basically when a ticket comes in via a request type, an assignment group field is used to assign the correct AD group to the ticket. 

There are some teams that are always triaging tickets around and they want to better understand how often that assignment group field changes (moves to another group). It would also be nice to know when it changes, what groups is it being rerouted to.

Any way of being able to report on this? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2022

Hi @Paiton Swaim 

No question is a silly question :)

Jira does not natively have audit on custom fields (i.e. changes are not recorded into a log that is easily accessible). However, you do have the "History" tab down on the "Activity" section. On the Cloud you click on "Show" and choose "History". Then you can use Ctrl-F and the name of the field to see all the changes. Jira records the current value and also the new value.

HTH,
KGM

Paiton Swaim August 18, 2022

Thank you! I was hoping for something we could use to report on how often things are moving around. If you have any ideas on how to get at this maybe in another creative way, that would be awesome! I am trying to think if there is another field or some workaround that could essentially get me to that sort of metric. 

I appreciate your help!

Łukasz Modzelewski _TTPSC_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 19, 2022

My team build an app for issue activity timeline, not exactly reporting but it gives a visual overview of changes placed on timeline :)

It's free, so you can just check it: Issue timeline 

Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 19, 2022

Hi @Paiton Swaim 

If you're looking for a customizable report, check out Issue History for Jira. My team has developed an app as a journal where you can monitor changes for any standard and custom issue fields. You just need to include those fields in the grid columns.

You can filter issues by projects, sprints, assignees, date ranges, etc.

That's how the report may look:

assignee activity in jira.png

The app is free for up to 10 users, and there is a 30-day free trial, so you can check if it can meet your needs.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events