Recommendation or best practices for move from DEV to PRD.

Diego Cañete April 14, 2021

Hi Team,

We are auditing and we are observed that we should have an automatic process to pass changes between the testing environment and the production environment.
To date these passes have been done manually and there is no automation between the two jira servers.

So I ask you if there is documentation or best practices in this regard in relation to this issue?
Considering that the version of the server we are using is 7.0.1 at the moment.

I would be grateful if you could indicate if there is this documentation that explains the process.

Thanks.

Audittors Note:

"In addition, GIA noted there is no tool to automatically migrate changes (i.e.,
system configuration) to the production environment. As such, these changes are manually promoted to production by the system administrator directly." 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2021

You would need an app for this, Jira natively do not have a feature that would allow you do this. If you search the Marketplace you can find apps that does exactly this, for example Configuration Manager for Jira and Project Configurator for Jira.  

Hi Mikael,
Thank you for your response and your time.
I am looking for some document that clarifies what are the recommended practices written by Atlassian, is there such a thing?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2021

Have a look at Migrating projects to another Jira instance it mention the Project Configurator for Jira that I linked to above. 

with these two plugins can we automate the pass from DEV to PRD?
Leaving evidence of the change and the versions?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2021

Based on the documentation for Configuration Manager for Jira you can automate the process using their REST API, and it does generate an audit log and you can version control the snapshot that it generates. Not sure if the same applies for Project Configurator, I would check the documentation and also contact the vendor of the app to find that out.

Like Diego Cañete likes this

Hi Mickey,

I have to present a solution for this audit finding and I wanted to be very sure of what I am going to propose as a solution.

Thank you very much for your passience and assistance.

I am going to contact the providers of these two solutions so that they can answer all the doubts.

Thanks again.

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this

Suggest an answer