Query Syntax for status changes (Specifically Closed and Resolved) from a date forward

William St Croix May 1, 2023

Having challenges trying to build a query to provide all Jira tickets that have been Closed or Resolved from a date in the past until now (or between two dates).

Example: I need to know how many tickets were changed to a Closed or Resolved status from April 1, 2023 to April 30, 2023. resolutiondate doesn't seem to be the right date or perhaps my syntax isn't correct? Searching for what other dates can be used has not provided additional help.

I don't see any obvious way to get this result and I'm mostly a novice at these queries. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2023

Hi @William St Croix I think this would work for your range:

resolved >= '2022/04/01' and resolved <= '2023/04/01' order by created DESC

Here's an article on JQL operators:

Advanced search reference - JQL operators | Jira Software Cloud | Atlassian Support

There's a bunch of other links in there too.

Here's an article on fields: Advanced search reference - JQL fields | Jira Software Cloud | Atlassian Support

I do a lot of Internet searches for getting JQL help too! Hope that helps.

William St Croix May 1, 2023

Hi @Dan Breyen - That helped out. Thanks!

Another follow up, if a ticket goes from New to Closed, which date would be applied at that point to pick that up as a 'closed ticket' as resolved was never a status. These seem to be the ones slipping through the cracks now.

Regards,

Bill

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2023

From this reply: Resolution date is blank (atlassian.com)  The date gets set when the resolution gets filled in.  I'm no expert, but I would say you would have a couple of options.  1, remove that workflow, where they can't go from 'New' to 'Closed' without going to resolved first.  ( There are schools of thought on that.  Support Resolves it, customer Closes, or support can close (kinda up to you)).  I have an automation that runs where if it's been Resolved for 5 days, to close it and give customer a notification.

2.  Make sure the "Resolution" is required on the form when they go from 'New' to 'Closed'

3.  Setup an automation that looks for Closed tickets w/o a resolution and adds one in.

or 4.  Manually search for closed tickets w/o resolution and add one.

I chose the option that they can only go to Resolved, not Closed.  

I'm no expert on Workflows, you can always have support help out too.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events