Pros/ Cons Big Picture vs. Structure (Gantt)?

Milena Merten _DE_ June 19, 2022

I'm Milena and I'm currently working for a client who is implementing a new version of Jira. We are currently in the phase of finding out which additional apps the customer needs. Specifically, we are now looking at a comparison of "Structure (Gantt)" vs. "Big Picture". Do any of you know the differences/advantages? Many thanks in advance!

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2022

Hi @Milena Merten _DE_

If you share your specific requirements I can give you an honest opinion on both apps.  

Both apps are excellent, but depends on what the requirements are.

Regards

Milena Merten _DE_ June 27, 2022

Hi @Fabian Lim 

Thanks for your answer.

The main requirements are the following:

- Time values:

Set up an aggregated view in the portfolio as a portfolio manager needs consolidated time values at project level. Estimated hours for a project should be contrasted against actual hours

- Gantt Chart:

Creation/visualisation of a Gantt chart within a project. Critical path , milestones and dependencies (if one task moves, all the other dependent tasks move as well) should be shown.

- Portfoliomanagement:

Overview of all running projects incl. key facts (timeline, budget, resources, etc.)

If you need more details please tell me.

Thanks

Milena

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2022

Hi @Milena Merten _DE_

I would go with bigpicture based on the requirements since it looks more like a ppm solution that you need.

Times values:

• Both are able to aggregate ay the project level for estimates and actuals.

Gantt chart: 

• both have dependency mapping and updates on dates when parent tasks moves.  
  • Both can set milestones 
  • Bigpicture has the critical path view, but I can remember seeing it in structure Gantt.

Portfolio:

• The portfolio views and resource management in bigpicture would be the main difference.
  • Bigpicture let's you create groupings which are very useful for portfolio views.
  • It has the notion of teams and resource management which will help you capacity management.  

That being said, I would recommend you try both tools before you make a final decision. 

This is a video of what we built for a client: https://youtu.be/rSwyXDxgZvk

Using bipcture and a bunch of other plugins for an end to end ppm solution 

Like # people like this
Milena Merten _DE_ June 27, 2022

Awesome! Thank you very much Fabian!

10 votes
Tam _DevSamurai_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 17, 2022

Hi Milena,

Looking at your requirements, I believe that you should consider taking at look at TeamBoard ProScheduler as well. ProScheduler is resource planning scheduler and Gantt chart for Project and Portfolio.

89e3264f-6c30-49d5-b157-d7d8db1df892.png

96f2ed99-308d-48f1-868d-be15a6103db4.png

Features

• Resource planning: manage resources in Team, Project and Portfolio
  • Workload: Plan tasks monitor utilization
  • Table: no more Excel, manage Jira issues in a Spreadsheet view
  • Gantt chart and timeline
  • Time tracking
  • Reports
  • Project budget, cost (coming soon)

Please take a look at 5-min demo video for more details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLTWucsJUpw

Thanks,

Tam

0 votes
Marta Pastor (Appfire) October 21, 2022

Hi @Milena Merten _DE_ 
My name is Marta, I am a Product Manager from BigPicture (Appfire). I am very glad to see that you considered implementing BigPicture for your client. I just wanted to drop this message to let you know that in case you have any questions regarding BigPicture I would be more than happy to connect and have a chat.

From the requirements you have shared, including Time values, Gantt chart and Portfolio management functionalities, it seems like BigPicture would indeed be a great solution for your client. I would be happy to walk you through those areas and hear your feedback.

@Fabian Lim thank you for recommending BigPicture, great to know it is being appreciated in the Atlassian Community.

Best,
Marta

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events