Project permissions

amit_bakst June 2, 2022

Hello,

I would like to understand if when I grant permission to a group in Jira and in addition to the Project role does the user have to meet both of these conditions?

From what I have read and to the best of my knowledge only one of the options is needed. Is this a mistake?

As you can see in the attached picture I have a user in the test team but not in one of the listed Project roles.

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 11.55.39.png

Thanks in advance,

Amit

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2022

Permissions in Jira are, well, permissive.  If you match a rule that says "you can do X", then you can do X, it doesn't matter how many times you match.

The rule in your screenshot says

• Role: Administrators
  • Role: atlassian-addons-project-role
  • Group: test group

If a user is in either role, or the test group, then they have access to the project.  They only need to match one rule, Jira doesn't care if they match two or all three.  It stops looking as soon as it finds the first match.

If you want to be 100% on best-practice and performance though, remove the test group from the permission scheme, add a new role for project access, grant it the permission and put the group into the role in the project.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2022

Hi @amit_bakst 

It's not wrong what you did. This will work perfectly fine. However Atlassian propose in project permissions to user project roles rather than group, only because a project administrator can grant membership to users and group he/she belongs to. If the project admin wants to grant a user special permissions he/she can grant a project role. But if the project admin isn't a jira admin, he/she can't add a new user to a group or playing around with group. He doesn't have the necessary permissions.

Hope it is clear. Let me know!

Alex

amit_bakst June 2, 2022

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 

Yes, thank you!
I hope no more problems arise.
I would also like to know if I gave the user Comments Permissions to add comments why he can not mention people in the comment?

Thanks in advance,

Amit

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2022

In order to mention other people that user must have the global permission of "Browse users and groups".

amit_bakst June 5, 2022
Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events