Problem with outgoing mail

VladislavBelov NA August 27, 2017

Hi all! I have a problem with outgoing email. I've configured SMTP server and it's working fine when I send test emails. When I want to invite new users i receive the following error in logs:

2017-08-27 19:18:00,426 ERROR [] Sending mailitem To='smilley@yandex.ru' Subject='You have been invited to use JIRA' From='6479463@gmail.com' FromName='jira@smilley.ru' Cc='null' Bcc='null' ReplyTo='6479463@gmail.com' InReplyTo='null' MimeType='text/html' Encoding='UTF-8' Multipart='javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart@61de541' MessageId='null' ExcludeSubjectPrefix=false' anonymous Mail Queue Service Error occurred in sending e-mail: To='smilley@yandex.ru' Subject='You have been invited to use JIRA' From='6479463@gmail.com' FromName='jira@smilley.ru' Cc='null' Bcc='null' ReplyTo='6479463@gmail.com' InReplyTo='null' MimeType='text/html' Encoding='UTF-8' Multipart='javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart@34f45a05' MessageId='null' ExcludeSubjectPrefix=false'
com.atlassian.mail.MailException: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 553 5.7.1 Sender address rejected: not owned by auth user.

So it's "Sender address rejected: not owned by auth user." error. What should I do to resolve it? Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2017

The account 6479463@gmail.com is not the one you have set up in the email connection.  You'll need to correct the outgoing email addressing.

6479463@gmail.com is an email of the admin who is trying to invite users. Is it possible to send an email from user jira@mydomain.com?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2017

Screenshot at авг. 27 20-53-16.pngIt's set to be jira@smilley.ru, but in logs it's set to be an email of currently logged user...

As I said earlier, test emails are sent correctly.

Deleted user February 2, 2018

Hello,
I have the same issue. How to resolve it?
Thanks.

Afanasy Popov January 22, 2020

Hi!

I have same problem!

But it was solved by  setting same data at  "From address" and "Username" fields.

Xavier Burais January 22, 2021

I've the same problem.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, do you know if the problem come from Jira configuration or STMP server configuration?

Because outgoing mails are OK for issues notifications, and also for test emails, it's only when the mail is sent whith the user's email as sender that it fails.

In another post, it is recommanded to se this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/mail-fails-to-send-with-550-5-7-1-unable-to-relay-error-in-jira-server-143884327.html

For information, it worked fine before, and we don't touch anything in jira mail configuration.

What do you think?

Thank you for your help.

Xavier.

Suggest an answer