Populate multiple fields from standard communication with automation/ next gen

DENISE M WATSON April 14, 2021

I don't even know if my title makes any sense - but, here's what I'm trying to do:

I receive a standard communication from an outside source (so this can't be moved to a form of any sort) that is separated into 3 consistent sections (Overview, Details, Resources).  I would like to have this forwarded automatically to Jira and for Jira to then understand that there are separate sections and insert the text from these sections into separate fields of the same names - is this possible?  The information in the sections can vary in length and content, but the order is always the same.

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2021

Hi @DENISE M WATSON 

Without knowing the specifics of your communication layout and mechanism (email, text, document, etc.) I am unclear if this is possible.

If we assume you are receiving an email with all of the text sections you note in the email body, you could probably:

Please see the embedded links for information about this approach.

Best regards,

Bill

DENISE M WATSON April 16, 2021

Thank you - I will give it a try.

Like # people like this
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2021

Hi Denise,

I am not aware of an add-on that could parse out the email like that. You might could do something with the API and capture the data from the source in someway. 

Suggest an answer