Permission Scheme for project

Lottiah Smith March 22, 2023

I have created a project that i need to give external users access but only to their project in Jira Software and Confluence. The board was built off of the default permissions scheme, with this it gives the external users access to internal projects which I do not want. I created a new permission scheme but that made the project "disappeared" unfindable and I was unable to create a new board in the project with the new scheme. I adjusted the roles but yet no luck, I did try coping over the permissions and adjusting for guest and internal users groups but the project still didn't appear. When I switched it back to default the boards re-appear and the project appear. I'm not sure what I'm missing but is this possible? Any feedback I would really appreciate. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

Hi Lottiah,

This can be a bit messy, especially if you have not set up groups and permission schemes in mind for outside access. 

Basically, you want to create a Group in User Management for users from the outside. This can be a single group, but will mean that people from multiple outside clients have access to all of the projects linked to that group. But you can also implement Issue Level Security to help alleviate that. Or you can set up a separate group for each collection of users that need limited access to a particular project. 

Then your Permission Schemes (ALL of them) need to use this group for external access and exclude this group for projects they should not have access to. You will also need to have a group for all internal users which will be used to grant access to all projects in Jira.

Lottiah Smith March 23, 2023

Hi John, 

Thank you so much I will try this method. 

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events