One project, multiple active sprints

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 26, 2012

We are looking at a way to configure greenhopper (v6) to support following setup.

2 teams are working on the same setup.
Each team has its own sprints and are performing planning on their 'subset' of issues.
(ie the component field is being used)

Currently, it is only possible to create just one 'active' sprint. Ie - when one sprint is started, it is not possible to start another sprint. Also all sprints are listed.

We taught to create 2 rapid boards, so that the sprints would be managed separately, but this is neither resulting in the correct behaviour.

How should we solve this setup ?

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Alex
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2012

Hi Francis,

This video (unfortunately without sound) demonstrates how to add multiple sprints per project in GH v6. Apparently the trick is to create multiple rapid boards and change the filters to exclude issuekeys from the other rapid boards.

I hope this helps!

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ONDEMANDKB/How+to+add+multiple+sprints+per+project

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 26, 2012

Aha - now I understand.

Not sure who I should attribute the answer. Arthur answer is correct, but Akassab's answer more clear...

F.

Alex
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2012

You can select both answers as the best answer! ;-)

0 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2012

Boards are completely controlled by the filter they use. They learn about the sprints by finding all of the issues that match the filter (and that are in a status mapped to a column) then checking the "Sprint" field in each of the issues. So if two boards include an issue and that issue has its sprint field to include an active sprint, both boards will know about the sprints.

Thanks,
Shaun

0 votes
Jeff Isenberg October 1, 2012

We have multiple scrum teams working in the same Jira project in the same sprints. We thought we can set up a board for the whole project and also set up a board for each team so they can have a less cluttered view when in Work mode. This seems to work but I'm not clear on how a sprint created in the first board will automatically appear on the second board (which is what we want). Are sprints unique to a board or can they be shared?

0 votes
Arthur Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
September 26, 2012

Hello Francis,

Currently this is not possible to achieve, since the latest GreenHopper version doesn't support multiple active sprints, as you wisely noticed.

It's is planned to be implemented on the next release, but as a work-around, you can consider using different boards with filters that differentiate issues from those boards, making sure that issues from Board A won't appear on Board B. With this, you can achieve multiple sprints for the same project.

Cheers!

francis
Marketplace Partner
September 26, 2012

Hi Arthur,

This is what we tried, but once that you start a sprint, the next sprint cannot be started. Also sprints are defined in a specific project. I have been looking for more information on this topic (what is a sprint entity in greenhopper and how can are issues linked into a sprint) but I didn't find a good explaination yet.

Francis

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2012

To be clear, I would recommend the approach that Arthur has provided (i.e. making sure the boards do not select the same issues) but you can start multiple sprints on one board at once in GreenHopper 6.0.3 if you enable the Parallel Sprints feature in GreenHopper labs.

Thanks,
Shaun

Suggest an answer