One permission scheme across multiple projects

Sam Whymark April 11, 2023

I am looking at refining our current permission scheme.

Is it possible to have one permission scheme that allows a user to log a bug in project x but not in project y using groups or project roles?

Or do I have to create individual permission schemes for each project and assign the  appropriate roles across the schemes?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2023

Hi Sam - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can use a shared single Permission Scheme and control access by what Project Role you put the user in.

If that Project roles gets the permission to create  issues for example, does this mean they will be able to create issues in all projects?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2023

No, only in that project. 

Where in the project role do I assign it to the one specific Project?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2023

Project Role assignments are unique to each project and only apply to that project. Your Permission Scheme can (should) grant permissions to various functions in the Scheme.

Then for the project that you want to grant access/permissions, go to Project Settings for the project (you must be a project administrator). Then click on the People option on the left side. 

Then you can assign a project role to a user. The user in that project role will only have access to the permissions for that project. 

Like Sam Whymark likes this
Sam Whymark April 12, 2023

Thank you!!!

So when i add the project role in the permission scheme but not the project itself they will be restricted?

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2023

Correct. The Permission Scheme uses the Project Role (e.g. Developers) to grant a permission (e.g. Browse Project). Then within Project ABC, Joe Smith is added to the Developers role. He can now see issues in Project ABC, but not in any other project that uses the same Permission Scheme. 

If you want him to see issues in Project DEF, then you would add him to the Developers role in project DEF. Then he could see issues in projects ABC and DEF but no other projects. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events