Old closed tickets showed up in a new Sprint after I closed a current Sprint

Darrin Mealio March 28, 2023

We closed a Sprint on 3/24/2023 and started the next one. We found in the new Sprint several (10+) tickets (of various types) which had been included in previously closed Sprints. We did not "move" them there, they had been hidden when closed.

4 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The easiest way to get this to happen is re-configure your board.

I suspect you will find that you have removed the status that those issues are in from the "done" column (the last column on the board).  Have a look at their status and the column mappings you have for them!

Darrin Mealio March 30, 2023

Thanks for that answer, however it does not explain the issue. Typically when you close a ticket in a Sprint, then close the Sprint, the tickets are not shown (backlog/Sprint).

To give you more information, the issue revolves around tickets that were fully closed in previous sprints but then "appeared" in the new sprint. So let's say you had Sprint 1 (with ticket A, ticket B, ticket C) and then Sprint 2 (with ticket D). When you were still in Sprint 1, you closed tickets A+B+C. Then, at the end of Sprint 1 you marked the Sprint closed. Then you started Sprint 2. Suddenly, tickets A+B+C showed in Sprint 2. And looking at the individual tickets "Sprint" field it showed Sprint 2. This is the issue.

Like Jessica Villarreal likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2023

There is no "closed" flag on issues, the board looks at the sprint field.

Can you look at the status of these issues?  Are they in the last column on the board the sprint belongs to?

Darrin Mealio April 1, 2023

Yes. They are "closed". I have attached a screenshot from our current sprint as an example. This ticket (SMW-2529) was closed 2 sprints prior, it was not "showing" in our previous sprint.

Capture.PNG

Jessica Villarreal
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 2, 2023

The same happened to me. I had a lot of old issues (already closed as won't do) that suddenly (we didn't do it) were assigned to the current sprint. I friked out! 
I removed them from the current sprint and they disappeared, but it definitely is a Jira Issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2023

I think you will find that someone remapped the status of the old issues in the board config, or changed the board filter.

Jessica Villarreal
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 4, 2023

Nothing on the "History" tab that shows that, Nic.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2023

Take a good look at the current and previous status of the issues in the history.  It will not show you how people have remapped the board, but it will tell you what status changes there were.

0 votes
George Burton September 26, 2023

Hi Darrin,

I had the same issue.  As a work around I was able to 

Remove the Sprint from the Story (In the story under the 'Details' drop down menu, In 'Sprint' field, delete the active sprint from the list  ) This seems to have resolved the issue in a way that does not affect the burndown.  In my case, the story points ended up being 0 instead of 2 .

So in the 'Report', for the active sprint the story is listed as 0 story points included in the sprint, and 0 story points removed from the sprint .   

0 votes
Julien Rey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2023

Hi all,

We recently discovered a bug that might trigger the problem reported in this discussion (old/closed issues being automatically added to new Sprints).

Please take a look at it, in case it is relevant to you:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-21944

0 votes
Christian Lysdahl July 14, 2023

Hi Darrin

My team just noticed something similar, and when I searched for an answer, I found your post and this older post. I'm not absolutely certain but it seems likely that the answer provided by shiva kumar Shiva Gosul explains what happened. At least in our case.

I realize it's been a few months now, but if you haven't found an explanation yet, I hope this helps to solve the mystery.

Suggest an answer