Old tasks appeared in current Sprint

Magdalena October 14, 2020

I have weird problem. 

Team started new Sprint in Jira and suddenly old tasks from the past (one year ago) appeared. 

All tasks are closed and also epic is closed but I can't removed them from current Sprint to Backlog: "This issue cannot be edited because of its workflow status."

Can anyone help what to do to removed tasks from Sprint and what could be the reason of that? 

3 answers

0 votes
shiva kumar Shiva Gosul September 29, 2022

Those Stories/Tasks closed in Future sprint under Backlog. like You're sunning Sprint 5, Sprint 6 was in Backlog there some of the Stories/Tasks your PO closed (moved to Done) (In Backlog page) when you start a new sprint 6 all Done will be moved to Sprint 6 Done column. Go to Sprint Report and select a Sprint (where you're facing this issue) those Done stories says Issues closed outside the Sprint (Nothing but in Backlog)

0 votes
Krister Broman _Advania_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2020

The error message "This issue cannot be edited because of its workflow status." has nothing to do with the problem of them showing. This just means that your workflow has been set to not allow for any more editing of the issue in this status. You need to either change the workflow to allow it or to transition the issues to a state where they are editable. 

The issue itself can be caused by multiple things: 

1. What does your board query state?

A) If you query for issues in your entire system in one board then another board using the same sprint terminology may end up on your board (less likely in this case since you mentioned it was old issues).

B) If you do not remove resolved issues in your query, then they are going to come back to haunt you.  

2. Are you reusing sprint names i.e. "Sprint Week 45" instead of "Sprint Week 2045"?

You can investigate this by looking at one of the old issues that popped up, does the sprint name in the issue correspond to your current sprint. 

3. Does your workflow set the resolution of an issue?

An issue is not closed in Jira until it has received a resolution, even if the status is  named "Closed". This is a common mistake for newer admins. There are multiple ways to manage this including the one Flavien mentioned. You can also set resolution through a screen or automatically through your workflow to mention some other options. 

Magdalena October 15, 2020

Thank you for your response!

1A. We use different terminology, so I guess it's not that case.
1B. In my query I have only "project in (XXX) ORDER BY Rank ASC" and it was never a problem. Should I add something about not showing tasks with "done" status? It will remove from whole Backlog or only in "Active Sprint" view? 

2. We always change a number of a Sprint so it's not that case either. Just in case I checked and firstly it was in Sprint 77 and now is in Sprint 856. So different numbers and names.

3. It may be something with workflow, I will do a little research about it and check. It's weird that it never happened before.

Krister Broman _Advania_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2020

1B, Should have stated this differently - If you are in a scrum board, then it should not be necessary to remove tasks which are "done" as the specific scrum as long as your scrum is following the normal timeframe of a scrum meaning one or two weeks. In such cases it will be closed within a short time and thus it would not be necessary to remove them. 

If you are working with many issues or a long time frame then it might be an issue.  Similiar to a Kanban board where this is often an issue and therefore there is standard functionality in the kanban board to remove issues after a certain time. 

2. So the issue states that it is connected to Sprint 77 and you are currently running Sprint 856? That is definitely strange, as the scrum screen should only display the current sprint. 

3. You can verify on an issue that you have closed. If done correctly it should have the closing status in the "Resolution" field and an updated date/time in the "Resolved" field but that is still strange, as if they have a separate 

-- 

800 (856-77) Sprints though? If they are in sequence then that number over a period of one year sounds like quite a lot though?

Are you using parallell sprints? If so can you see an option to select the sprint in your selection menu? 

paralell sprints.JPG

0 votes
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2020

Hello Magdalena.

This may be linked to a problem in the config of your board, i have a similar issue some days ago.

In the list on the left side of the screen you've got the menu Backlog/Active Sprint/report.

Go to Active sprint.

In the configuration of this board, look what is mapped in the column on the far right. If your closed status are not mapped to this column, then it might be an explanation why the tasks keep coming back to your backlog.

Let me know if it helped you.

Magdalena October 15, 2020

Hey, thanks for your response!

I checked and on the right column "unmapped" I have nothing. Also this column is grey and I can't do anything with it. I didn't create this Backlog (so I'm not creator or maybe admin to it) so maybe I should ask this person to change something there?

Do you know what should I do to add closed status to it?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events