Not able to see a team-managed child ticket of an Epic in a company-managed project

Sander Mol October 8, 2021

Problem

An team-managed child ticket on a team-managed Epic, cannot be seen in the Backlog of my company-managed project.

Expected

To see the related ticket in the company-managed project

Observed

1. When I run the Board query I do see the actual ticket of the Epic.

2. In the Backlog of the company-managed project I can see a bugged name in the Epic tab "unlabelled-xxx", where I also see the Epic in the backlog as a normal ticket. Which normally should not happen with tickets

3. In the Epic tab, the Epic still shows 0 issues attached to it

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2021

This is expected functionality.

In a Company Managed project, a child issue keeps track of its parent Epic by storing the parent Epic Issue Key in its "Epic Link" field.

In a Team Managed project, a child issue keeps track of its parent Epic by storing the parent Epic Issue Key in its "Parent" field. Team Managed projects don't use the Epic Link field.

Because the Team Managed project doesn't use the Epic Link field, the functionality in a Company Managed board for displaying children of Epics will not work for Team Managed project child issues.

The reason you see "unlabelled" in the Epic pane for the Epic is because the Epic Pane displays the value from the Epic Name field. In Team Managed projects, the Epic Name field is not used.

I haven't yet figured out why the Team Managed Epics appear in the backlog issue list section of a Company Managed board.

Sander Mol October 9, 2021

Indeed, as expected. So likely an alternative is to not use a Team-managed Epic if they need to be visible in a Company-managed backlog?

Or more likely, create a Company-managed, not Team-managed, for such purposes.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events