Next-gen filters

Jane_Kim January 4, 2019

Hello,

I see that filters are not yet on the roadmap for next-gen board.

Is there a reason for this? And how else we can solve this issue where we had the ability to use specific sql to filter all issues into reports, etc.

Thank you!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2019

Hello Jane,

Thank you for getting in touch with Atlassian Community!
Next-gen projects were created to be more simple, so currently it's not possible to create a filter for Burnup and Velocity reports.

We have some feature requests related to filters for next-gen, but nothing related to reports:

- Roadmap Epic filter in next-gen projects
- Next-gen project backlog - filter for completed issues.
- Ability to create quick filters in Next-gen project
- Ability to configure board filters for next gen project

If you need to use filters on reports, we suggest using Classic projects.

Update - Jan 9, 2020

Since we are receiving new comments on this thread, I would like to let you know that this thread will remain open, however, feedback will only be monitored and reviewed from the linked Jira issues above. Please leave any feedback, concerns or user cases within the linked Jira issues. We do value your feedback and want to ensure it's recorded within the appropriate issue to action.

Regards,
Angélica

Jane_Kim January 7, 2019

Hi Angélica,

Thank you for the update. In fact I was referring to quick board filters that exist on the active. I believe both these issues are referring to that, if I'm not mistaken:

Does this mean that we can expect board quick filters in the near future?

Thank you!

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2019

Hi Jane,

We wouldn't say that this feature will be available soon.
On this main feature, there is currently 95 sub-tasks with suggestions for next-gen and few of them was resolved, so we can't say for sure when this is going to be implemented.

Regards,
Angélica

Joeri Bruneel April 1, 2019

Hi Angelica, is a filter for not showing closed tasks in next-gen board on the roadmap? 

Like # people like this
Spyder McHenry June 11, 2019

Major +1 here. Not showing 'Done' in the backlog and also having a way to get them off the board is VERY desirable. I get tons of complaints from my team about this.

Like # people like this
Daniel Tekin May 12, 2020

Hi, has this been fixed with adding quick filters for next gen projects?

Do you have any other idea how to keep overview over "Unresolved issues"?

Like # people like this
Nolan McConnell July 28, 2020

Bump to the quick filter comments above. 

Ben Morris September 28, 2020

Bump to the quick filter comments above. 

5 votes
Eric Raymond December 17, 2019

Wow, pretty lame response for Atlassian that common simple features of classic projects are not planned.   

The Next gen projects were pitched to us as the "next generation".  There are several features in next gen projects which are not available in classic projects ... and that was why we switched to next gen (at some cost). 

There are now multiple implementations of a core capability (project boards) each with a different set of features and customizability.  The huge switching costs between classic and next gen makes this even worse.  Now Atlassian has to maintain both classic and next gen (which slows down the pace of improvement of both implementations)

Magda Vasinkova January 9, 2020

I agree with you as this is vital for Product Managers to support advanced business structures that span across multiple Jira projects. Is there any update on the timeline when this will be implemented in the "next-gen" offering?

Like GEON likes this
1 vote
François Crépin July 7, 2020

I found a workaround way to filter a roadmap.

I created a new type of issues (I called it "Parent Epic").

I created one child issue of "Parent Epic" type on each Epic I want to keep in the filter.

I used the "Type" filter to keep the Epics which have a "Parent Epic" issue as a child.

Hope it will helps some people while the label filter isn't functional.

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
April 3, 2019

Hi @Joeri Bruneel,

There is not specific for tasks. I checked that the roadmap was updated and they will improve the filters on next-gen projects:
- https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software#result-9d75ad60
Please, feel free to create a sub-tasks with more details about why this feature is important for you here.

Regards,
Angélica

Sarah Kilmon June 5, 2019

Hello, I see filtering improvements were made, according to the roadmap:

https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software?_ga=2.124488842.1285284632.1559747177-900371441.1555955832#result-9d75ad60

Specifically, it looks like you are able to use labels as a filter type. However, I am unable to do that on my board. Does it need to be 'turned on' or something? (I have Next-Gen)

Thanks!

Sarah

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
June 6, 2019

Hi Sarah,

For the filter "Labels" to appear in the board or backlog, you just need to add a label in the tickets. Please, click on any card and add a label, then on the top, the option to filter will appear.

Regards,
Angélica

Sarah Kilmon June 20, 2019

Hey Andelica, I tried that, and I didn't see the board change. I have attached a video here: https://cl.ly/82fd5783f00f

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
June 21, 2019

Thank you for the video Sarah. I see that you are using a custom field to add the labels, that's why it's not working. 

You need to use the Label system field:Screen Recording 2019-06-21 at 10.46 AM.gif

Please, go to the Project settings > Issue types and add the system Label field.

Screenshot 2019-06-21_10-54-28.png

Like # people like this
Ian Colwell June 26, 2019

@Angélica Luz 

Do you know if there are plans to make filters work with custom fields? For example filter by a custom drop-down choice, custom label field, etc?

Like Michael Shtilerman likes this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
June 28, 2019

Hi Ian,

Currently, it's not on the roadmap but there are features requests suggesting this already, so we need to wait for our dev team to check and once they start developing it will show on the roadmap:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17446
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17444

Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates.

Regards,
Angélica

Like # people like this
Peter_Backeris October 1, 2019

I can't believe you need people to suggest such an obvious feature - haven't you guys been at this for a while? Why would you think people don't need to filter by custom fields? What is the point of the fields if you can't search, filter, or generate reports using the values in these fields? 

Truly baffling. 

Like # people like this
Abes Dabir January 3, 2020

We have multiple teams working on the same project and the ability to have a quick filter to just see my own team's issues is critical, otherwise the board would be too noisy. That's one reason we haven't switched to NGP yet.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer