Next-Gen Completed Epics

Nelson Keating October 28, 2018

Once you complete an epic and all of the stories within it, it still shows on the board. How do you remove it from the board once done?

7 answers

1 vote
Ruben Garcia September 22, 2019

Same here, I have marked the Epic as done and I would like for it to be archived or something sot that it is no longer cluttering up the board.

1 vote
George September 4, 2019

Also looking for an answer on this.  Is the only way to shove them to the bottom or delete them?  Is there no archive?

Tom Stratton October 2, 2020

set the filter on the roadmap to exclude the completed epics

0 votes
Dennis Christensen December 11, 2020

On the Roadmap viem, press "View settings"

Set it to only show Incomplete

It will remove the Epic from the Roadmap view.

Not perfect but a start.

Screenshot from 2020-12-11 14-51-15.png

Tom Stratton December 11, 2020

This is a great help - thanks for noticing and posting. Much better than setting the filters every time you load the page!

Like eGT Labs Admins likes this
eGT Labs Admins January 6, 2021

That'll do fine!  Thanks!

Deleted user May 20, 2021

But this is only for roadmap, how about the same setting for backlog, please?

0 votes
Rodion July 20, 2020

Also waiting for this issue to be resolved...

0 votes
Tyson Davis March 11, 2020

Has there been any update on this? Our Roadmap is overloaded with completed Epics and all child tasks have been moved to completed on the board and marked as done on the epic yet it still just sits.

Norm Malloch March 11, 2020

I am experiencing the same problem. Great project configuration, just gets more unusable as you use it!

Adam Stein March 11, 2020

I don't think there's been any update, but it is now possible to filter the roadmap by epic status, so you can make the ones marked "Done" disappear from the view. This is handy, but unfortunately you need to do it every time you come back to the page -- the filter setting doesn't persist -- or you need to bookmark the URL.

Imogen Jones April 14, 2020

Is there a ticket in somewhere to get this resolved? I'm having the same issue - the roadmap is growing and growing. I've done the steps suggested (marking as done, moving to the bottom and filtering by To Do and In Progress) but would be great to not have to do this all the time!

Sue Hannan April 17, 2020

I'm having the same problem, what is the latest on removing epics that are done from the roadmap view. I'm in next gen.

Jayson Castillo May 17, 2020

Many of us have requested this seemingly basic update.  The assumption would be you can use Jira for years.  For those of us that use Epic and Agile regularly this needs to be urgently fixed.  While you are at it @jirasupport Epic roadmap is a great idea but should be tied to the start and end dates of the children below it.  I should not need to update the Epic with a start and end date.  That is a good options.  But a better use, and more dynamic, would be to take the dates of the children if they exists.  PLEASE UPDATE!! Thank you for a good product.  please keep making it better. 

0 votes
Sam Wilson November 11, 2019

This is definitely a bug. I've submitted it as a support request to see if they'll create an issue for it in their public tracker, or at least acknowledge that this is a pretty serious design flaw.

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2018

Hello,

Once all the work for an epic is completed, you should mark it as complete on the roadmap.

To complete an epic:

1. Navigate to the Roadmap.
  2. Select the epic you'd like to mark as complete.

3. Under Status, select Done.

You can find more info about epics here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Working-with-epics-in-next-gen-Software-projects/ba-p/896953

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2018

If you mean that the epic is in the most right column of your backlog board, then it will be removed after 14 days.

Piotr Zioło May 29, 2019

I did change the status of an epic to Done (several times back and forth to be sure), but I still see the epic on my board. It's automatically folded, but this is not enough, as done epics will clutter the board more and more. Can I make done epics disappear completely from the board?

Like # people like this
Adam Stein June 14, 2019

Unless I'm missing something, it isn't possible to move epics to the rightmost column of the board, because epics never show up on the board. 

It is possible to mark epics as "Done," but this doesn't cause them to disappear from the roadmap after 14 days (or ever).

Am I correctly understanding how epics work now?

Suggest an answer