New workflow change not updating after I've committed the changes.

edward_talley July 15, 2021

I made a new workflow for my dev team, and a new demo project so we can tinker with it before we use it wider.  

From previous experience I know it can take a while before some workflow updates will reflect in practice, but it's already been a week with no change observed.  Previous instances of Jira cloud that I've worked on usually reflect workflow changes within a day at most.

Our instance is fairly new with less than 50 projects instance wide.

The first and most visible thing I changed was removing a validator check that requires the "Assignee" field to not be null when transitioning from a "to do" status to an "in progress" status.

Even though I removed the validator check, and published the draft last week the error message from that now removed validator check still shows up when we try to move an issue from a "to do" status to an "in progress" status.  

I'm not new to Jira, and usually minor things like this work themselves out, but I was expecting the updated workflow to be a bit more responsive than this.  I'm hoping that I've just overlooked something minor.  I've been patient (like I said I published this change last week) but this seems off to me.

Any advice is much appreciated.  

JiraErrorWF_07-15-2021.png

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2021

Hi Edward - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I agree with Jack - there is no time lag after the workflow gets published. 

You said it was a new workflow - did you incorporate the new workflow into the existing workflow scheme and map it to the appropriate issue type(s)?

0 votes

Thanks for the quick response, also JACK!  I wasn't expecting to see you so quickly.  I got a chance to see you speak live at the Atlassian office here in Austin Texas a few years back.

All that aside, yeah this is a head-scratcher for me too.  

And yes, I made sure everything was rigged up properly.  I confirmed the validator was gone, and the draft workflow was published. 

I removed the validator last week, and I'm still getting the error message as if the validator is still active. 

Yes, I've killed and relaunched my browser since then.  I'm open for suggestions.

JiraErrorWF_07-15-2021_confirmation001.png

Wait...I think I got it.

Per your earlier posts

"Another consideration are you sure that the issue type associated with the issue you are testing with is in fact associated with the workflow that you edited?"

These workflows are split between a Scrum, and a Kanban implementation.

We handle bugs on the Kanban, so that is a separate workflow.  

I'll kill the validators on the "bugs" workflow and I think that will do it. 

Thanks for being a good sounding board again.

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2021

I've never experienced a workflow being published and then taking any amount of time to be in effect.

The first thing I suggest is to verify that the workflow changes were in fact published. If you go back into the workflow and edit it is the validator in fact gone? If not I suggest moving it again and publishing. If it is gone and something else is causing your error to occur. Another consideration are you sure that the issue type associated with the issue you are testing with is in fact associated with the workflow that you edited?

Suggest an answer