Move to cloud solution from Atlassian

Andreas Hugi October 12, 2017

Dear Atlassian Team,

We are currently using JIRA and Confluence as well as Portfolio heavily for our product development and are very happy with it.

We host currently our own server structure on AWS, but would like to move to your offer of cloud hosting. This gives our young and fast growing team easier scalability.

But most of our R&D know-how is on Confluence and JIRA, as well as the development plan for the future. 

Do you offer any help to migrate the existing server infrastructure to your cloud solution?
How can we do this in an efficient way. We can live with a certain amount of downtime, as long as we have the same projects, confluence pages and portfolios available in the new configuration.

Thank you for your help

Andreas Hugi

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2017

@Andreas Hugi, just to be clear most of the folks that work the Community are non-Atlassian employees though Atlassian members do monitor an contribute so they may chime in here. With that said here is some input that may or may not be of value.

In my experience folks are more likely to migrate from cloud to server for scalability reasons. That is not to say that the reverse cannot or should not be done as it certainly can be done. Whether it is the right decision I cannot express a worthwhile opinion here. BTW, I am on cloud an it works great for my need but it is a small company (200+).

The task might range from easy to rather tedious and complex depending on your situation (amount of customization you have done). There are many Atlassian partners that would be more than happy to assist you with this and you can search for them here.

Best of luck.

Andreas Hugi October 12, 2017

Hi Jack,

Thanks a lot for your prompt answer.

I have actually also found a guide on confluence on the internet:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/migrate-from-confluence-server-to-cloud-724765529.html

I am sure I can also find a similar information somewhere for JIRA.

And yes, I agree that moving from cloud to server is the usual way for a scaleable solution. But we are still a small team and any update in software and licenses disrupts our work. And prices are really unbeatable, at least for small to medium teams.

Andreas

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2017

To add to what Jack said, you should remember that the only thing that is migrating is your data.  Your current hardware/server setup is irrelevant to Cloud.

The method for moving both Jira and Confluence is "upgrade it to the latest possible version, then export it all to XML and import that on Cloud".  We've found that this is often not as straightforward as it sounds.

As Jack suggests though, you should look at your current and future needs.  Cloud doesn't go past 2,000 users and has a maximum storage of 100Gb.   Is that going to be enough for you in the long run?  Also check over your add-ons, are any of them critical to your usage?  If any are, check that they have Cloud versions, and be prepared that they still may not have import routes for all your data.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2017

"not as straightforward as it sounds" is very true. Could be a couple of days effort to get it working, could be a week or more, in our experience

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2017

But Atlassian is working on improving the experience, based on talks at this year's Summit

Suggest an answer