Modifying field configuration changes the default field configuration as well?

Chris Ghazanchian October 8, 2018

I'm trying to understand whether this is normal behavior or not..

I have two field configurations: Default Field Configuration & Accounts Receivable Field Configuration

When I go into the Accounts Receivable Field Configuration and modify the screens that the field "Invoice Number" should show up on, the changes happen on the default field configuration as well.

I'm curious if this is normal behavior or not as I want to keep the default field configuration mostly empty (except for the system required fields: Summary & Issue Type). The reason I would like to keep it empty is so that when I create a new field configuration, the screen configs for the rest of the field configurations aren't already there.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2018

Hello,

If you modify a screen, nothing changes in  field configuration schemes.  Field configuration schemes change (new custom fields are added), if you create a new custom field. Each field configuration scheme contains all custom and system fields available in your Jira. You can not make the number of fields less or more in filed configuration schemes.

Chris Ghazanchian October 9, 2018

Hi Alexey,

Let me explain a bit differently.

Within the "default field configuration" or the "Accounts Receivable Field Configuration" there are all the fields (as you mentioned), and for each of those fields you customize which screens they appear on (see HIGHLIGHT in screenshot below).

image.png

If I go to my accounts receivable field configuration, and click on the screens for that field "Invoice number" above, and change which screens it appears on (or completely remove all the screens), those changes will happen on the default field configuration as well.

What I'd like to understand is if this is normal, because what I would like is for all the fields in the default configuration to NOT be associated with any screens (have red circle be empty for all fields), however have the fields within the accounts receivable field configuration be associated with whatever is necessary.

I hope I am making sense. I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is normal behavior or is just a bug?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2018

A field is connected to a screen through screen schemes. Field configuration schemes do not have any connection with a screen. You can see just on what screens a field is present and it relates to a custom field, not to the field configuration scheme. And screens are the same for a field in all field configuration schemes, because field configuration schemes do not influence, if a field is shown on a screen or not. 

That is why it is normal.

All you can do in a field configuration scheme is to hide a field. But in this this case this field will be hidden on all screens in Jira.

Alexey,

I am referring to field configurations, not field configuration schemes. I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. I know what the purpose of field configurations and field configuration schemes are. I know how to use them, I am just confused on whether or not it is normal behavior that changing the screens for a custom field in one field configuration applies the same exact changes to the default field configuration and vice versa.

So, if I am understanding you correctly... then what you are trying to say is no matter what I change for which field is associated to which screens, those changes will apply to all my field configurations within my JIRA. However, the required/optional will not apply to all field configurations and will stay unique to the field configuration that I am working on?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2018

Field configuration schemes consist of field configurations. You can create several field configurations and define different properties for a custom field there (optional, hidden, set description etc). Then you create a field configuration scheme and  add there field configurations. You can add one field configuration or several (for example, a different field configuration for each issue type).

If you make a change to a screen, it is not applied to any field configuration. It is a property of a custom field. It is not a property of a field configuration. You can set a screen to a custom field in a field configuration, just to make it simpler for you to add a field to a screen. 

Required/optional, hidden/show, edit, renderers are applied to each field configuration.

Alexey,

Thank you for that explanation, that makes a lot more sense!!

I appreciate your time.

Regards,

Chris

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2018

@Chris Ghazanchian You are welcome! If you feel like I answered your question, kindly mark my answer as accepted.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2018

Or you accepted it. We have a new UI in Community today, that is why I am a bit confused :)

Trish Skrapits July 31, 2019

@Chris Ghazanchian

I am running into a similar problem now. By any chance, if you are paying attention, do you know where the values are to reset Default Field Configuration? I tried using the Restore Defaults button on the Default Field Configuration and nothing happens. I am awaiting a reply from Atlassian support and posted here as well.

Thanks

0 votes
Ramiz Ballou March 29, 2023

Hello,

i see this note and i am having the same issue noted by Chris.  Now, i am trying to understand the function of Field Configuration. Since they all have the same screen association, what is the point of having i?

Suggest an answer